Sore finger tip question

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well now Ive had my Schecter Diamond C1-FR for a while now....mabey a month and a half. I am getting the calluses on three fingers from practicing and compared to when I first started things are getting somewhat easier and finger speed has increased some as I have been doing those guitar aerobics. But my fingers are sore all the time now. Even when I havent played since the prevous day they are a little sore in the am. Is this normal? I am only practicing mabey 45 minuts in the am and 45 in the afternoon and whenever I feel like letting off some stress I tend to pickup axe up the volume and let the neighbors know how my day has been....hehehe.... :note1: :note1:

My question today is am I practicing to much and if the fingers get sore should I just play through the pain or stop? Should I stop for a few days till they quit hurting? They are not like really really hurting just kind of tingly.

Jay
Vancouver WA

(@daven)
Estimable Member

Hi Data,
I'm only a couple weeks ahead of you as far as when I first picked up a guitar so I don't know a whole lot but I think it may be the 2 a day practices that are bothering you. Your fingers might not getting enough time to recover between practices but if you give it a few more weeks you probably won't even notice it. I usually practice once a day for 1 to 2 hours usually in the evening and by the end of my playing my fingers are sore but by the next morning they're fine. When I try to practice a second time during a day my fingers are much more tender and they get sore faster the next day too.

ReplyQuote
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Great advice. Thanks for your help. It makes sense to me. I think I will do mine in the late afternoon as I seem to be able to manipulate the fingers better then in the morning. I also read someplace that someone warms their hands and forearms with a heating pad before they practice as well does stretching exercises for their hands before starting. I guess that makes sense to get some blood into the area with some heat.

Jay

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

It's normal. You might try lighter strings...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

nothing to worry about...you gotta earn those 'badges of honour' 8)

I've been playing acoustic for a couple of years and kinda miss that tingle now :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@melander)
Trusted Member

Great advice. Thanks for your help. It makes sense to me. I think I will do mine in the late afternoon as I seem to be able to manipulate the fingers better then in the morning. I also read someplace that someone warms their hands and forearms with a heating pad before they practice as well does stretching exercises for their hands before starting. I guess that makes sense to get some blood into the area with some heat.

Jay

You'll get over it. I've only been playing for three months, and it's much better now. I can still feel some 'difference' in my fingertips, but they don't hurt anymore. It seems like the pain went away about a month ago, so you should be getting there. It seems like the warming and stretching would help with cramping, I don't know how much it would do for your fingerpads. :)

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Some pain you can ignore, some you shouldn't.

What you're describing, sore finger tips, is probably the ignorable kind. Just usual, from the friction of pushing on something hard and narrow like a guitar string. Maybe you're gripping kind of hard? In any case, it should go away with time. (I've been at it, in serious, for somewhat more than a year- finger tips are now a bit like soft leather, but don't hurt.)

Any other pain, though, shouldn't be ignored. (In the wrist or hand, in the joints of fingers...) These can be a sign that you're damaging something, and could take you out of your practice routine if you let it get worse.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Yeah that is ignorable pain, but always watch out with the strings, because, and I'm serious, one time I didn't feel like changing my strings, so I played for like 2 hours with some rusty strings, it kinda hurt, but since I'm so stubborn I kept on playing, until I cut my third finger with the third string :P ( G ). Yeah I just used your thread as an excuse to talk about that but whatever :P. Its ignorable pain, play through it, I've been playing fo a year and 2 months now, and the only pain I get is maybe in my elbows after a while and my feet cause I like to go in circles when I'm just playing and not practicing xD. When I practice I sit down o.o.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote