Clear all

Sore wrists

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@chris_skilton)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi ...... evry time i play my acoustic i allways get aching wrists and sore fingers can u tell me how to get rid of it other than if u keep practising it will go because i have been playing for a couple of years now and it hasn't gone thx :mrgreen:

Woot Woot!!

(@denny)
Reputable Member

Are both wrists hurting or just on your fretting hand? If it's just on your fretting hand, you might try to straighten your wrist some.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Also, if it's the pick hand, maybe try to keep the wrist motion to a minimum when doing single note picking (try playing more from the elbow down), and just let the wrist relax in general with strumming. But then again, a lot of it just comes down to what works for you. Try different combinations of wrist position/movement, and stick with what works.

Best!
Jason

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I occasionally get a sore wrist. If you are getting a sore wrist a lot, I would guess it is either a hand postion problem or too much tension. The sore fingers thing is unusual though, if you have been playing a couple of years. Assuming you play regularly. One thing that could possibly cause both is a crazy high action or badly worn frets. Either one of those can cause you to be press much harder to play clean.

Good luck

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Really play attention to the positions you put your hands in while playing. If your wrist is hurting you must be putting your arm in an unnatural position. Your wrist shouldn't be hurting, even if you are only a beginner.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
 tree
(@tree)
Trusted Member

If overuse is a problem, I've found that taking a few minute breaks every half-hour or so to stretch/massage the wrist seems to work pretty well.

I only do a couple wrist stretches, but I just found this site with a billion different wrist/hand stretches... I do the ones (apparently) called "Stop" and "Break at the Wrist"[/url]

so many places that are hard to see
so many places that aren't
so many places we want to be
so many times we are not

ReplyQuote
(@chris_skilton)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys i will keep all of that in mind when i play

Woot Woot!!

ReplyQuote