Clear all

Sound difference?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello. I'm posting a question that is probably only as answerable as the length of a piece of string...

If you have a model of guitar, which comes as both a dreadnought and a cutaway, how much difference to the sound would the cutaway make. I understand (presume) it is for greater accessibility of the higher frets, but as it is taking away some of the "sound space" on an acoustic, does this mean it also takes away some of the quality of sound?

Not sure if I've explained this particularly well... :oops:

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Not having tried the experiment myself, I'd imagine the biggest difference should be "less air volume = less loudness"

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have a Martin 16GTE. it is a dread cutaway with electrics. this guitar is loud. the cutaway, on this guitar, does not take anything away. it is louder than my friends Taylor Concert. well, a Concert is a different guitar really.
I don't use the upper frets very much, but when I do the cutaway sure makes it easier.
it is a good question that comes up often. there are many opinions to be sure. I will say that my cut away produces greAt tone at big volumes. nothing lost here.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hello. I'm posting a question that is probably only as answerable as the length of a piece of string...

If you have a model of guitar, which comes as both a dreadnought and a cutaway, how much difference to the sound would the cutaway make. I understand (presume) it is for greater accessibility of the higher frets, but as it is taking away some of the "sound space" on an acoustic, does this mean it also takes away some of the quality of sound?

Not sure if I've explained this particularly well... :oops:

The cutaway isn't going to make a noticeable difference. Acoustic volume is most affected by how well the top accepts the energy of the strings and vibrates

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

the internal volume of the air doesn't necessarily determine overall loudness. perfect example is that an unmic'ed mandolin can easily be loud enough to cut through an electrified band in a club. the internal volume and soundhole design does determine the low frequency response of the guitar (look up Helmholtz resonance or resonator), and this mostly affects the overall timbre, as the bass is not usually the loudest component of a guitar's sonic output. dreadnoughts are known for having a big, 'booming' timbre -- which some mistake for loudness. but what that really means is they have relatively more bass than some other designs. nevertheless, there are so many factors that determine the trimbral natural of an instrument, that generalizations about the cutaway (or not) won't necessarily help you with a particular model or even a particular guitar. you need to listen to the guitar played as you will play it. the best way to do that is to have someone else play it for you (approximating you target style), while you get out front and listen. ignore appearance and design: listen to the sound with your ears, not your eyes.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote