Notifications
Clear all

Soundboard wood.

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@captain-fretbuzz)
Topic starter  

I'm considering a pair of guitars--one with a spruce top and the other a cedar top. I've read a little here and there about each but want to hear what the board has to say, especially the moderators.

Thanks for any input guys!

Cheers,
Captain Fretbuzz.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I don't claim any special expertise here, but as long as you're looking at a solid top you should be in good shape. Spruce should create a brighter tone and cedar a mellower tone. At least that's what I read. My acoustic has a spruce top. I've never played one with a cedar top but a lot of people play Seagulls. They typically have cedar tops. Cedar's also a softer wood. It might be more likely to show a mark, but that's not that important. It's the tone you should consider. I'd suggest you play both types and see which sound is more to your liking.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@abeidson)
Trusted Member

It depends on what you like.. I would take a few strums on both to see which one you like the tone of. Both will get a little mellower with age. I have a Spruce top guitar that I love the tone.. but I recently had a chance to play a friends Seagull which had a Cedar top and it did have a slightly mellower tone to it. Again as long as it is a solid top guitar it comes down to what one you like better.

I wanna Rock N Roll all night... Ahh who am I kidding I'll be in bed at 9 pm....

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

That is really what I just discovred. There are no seagulls here to try but I did try a Yamaha, Alverez, Martin, & Taylor. They were all different and it all boiled down to the tone I liked at the end. I opted for the spruce Taylor in the end. Not the real expensive ones, 210, but I am happy with the choice and the sound and that is all that matters.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

While your considering two guitars with differnt woods, you might check out a mahogany top, I hear it has a warmer sound, check out the martin D-15 I've liked the ones I've played, some say this is one of the better values in the Martin line not too expensive. it has a solid top. sides and back. Wish I could afford two guitars, sounds like your going to have fun shopping, take your time half the fun is in the hunt.

ReplyQuote
(@captain-fretbuzz)
Topic starter  

Thanks fellas--I'll let ya know when I decide which one to purchase in a month or two. I'm doing my research and will try several guitars; even those I can't afford. :D

Cheers,
Captain Fretbuzz.

ReplyQuote