Clear all

Speaking of picks...

77 Posts
38 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Where did you get them, Vic? I can't tell.

Just playing. Nice picks though lol

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Well I got my sample Ultex Jazz III yesterday. They had sent it a while ago but someone had torn open the envelope; the folks at Dunlop were kind enough to send another.

There's a small tonal difference vs. the black Jazz IIIs (the Ultex is a tad brighter); pick noise is about the same as well (not much); and I do think they give a little more clarity on the bass strings when using high gain. Good picks, but I do not like them as much as the Pickboy Edge picks.

Also just following up on the Fender Heavy 358s. They wear down pretty quickly - the one I've been using the past few weeks now has a sharp bevel on the edges. Glad I bought 20 ... but I'd really like to see Dunlop make this pick in Ultex material, as DemoEtc has suggested.

Last, has anyone used the Dunlop Speedpicks?

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=40&pmh=products/picks

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I like thick, heavy picks. They seem to me to provide far better tone and dynamic control.

I mean HEAVY too, not just a little thicker than medium.

I'm a huge fan of Wegen Picks, though lately I've been playing with some rubber and wood picks that I really like.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^Wow those picks are huge.

I use Nylon Dunlop's .73mm

ReplyQuote
(@powerslave214)

I'd like to try some of those Speedpicks someday....I've never seen them in any store.

I don't have any of the Fender 358s, but I do have a D'Andrea Pro Plec of the exact same shape. I like the Fender 551JZ better, it's probably my favorite pick made from celluloid. I wish I could get a gross of Jazz III's for as cheap.

I really like the grip on the Ultex Jazz III. I already ordered an entire bag ;-)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I use my fingers...YaY. Though now I am looking for a thumbpick. Any left handed issues in it ?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I like medium picks. the four for a dollar ones on the counter.
a friend swears by thin picks. and another needs thick picks.
I guess it all is a matter of what feels right.
we're lucky in this modern world to have many choices.
way back in history they only had these heavy duty ones:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rjnix_0329)
Trusted Member

I have found that the best picks for me are from a company called Clayton. They make several different types of picks, and are carried at guitar center. I really like their yellow ones, which try to simulate the sound and feel of tortoise shell, and their other are great too. I tend to use a light pick- maybe .56 - for strumming, and a heavier pick -1.0 - 1.5 - for flatpicking or trying to get a heavy blues sound from my guitar. It really is all about what feels right. When I started I bought about 8 different kinds, everything from rubber to thick plastic, and slowly honed in on what I was picking (no pun intended) up the most. You will find your own favorite!

--RJ

ReplyQuote
(@powerslave214)

I called Dunlop today and asked when the Ultex Jazz III's would ship.

Got the same answer.....again.

Two weeks.

's what I heard 2 months ago.

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

I bought a Jim Dunlop 3.0mm Big Stubby the other day. It sits nicely in the hand but is a bit like hitting the strings with a coin. It's interesting to play with something a bit different. My fave thus far is a Fender Extra Heavy. It's more like holding a fake fingernail in your hand.

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I called Dunlop today and asked when the Ultex Jazz III's would ship.
Got the same answer.....again.
Two weeks.
's what I heard 2 months ago.

Maybe they gave away their entire inventory as samples; LOL.

I ordered two dozen Pickboy Edge 1.14s from that site Powerslave posted above; that may be close to the last of 'em (1.00s are completely gone), and they'll keep me for a long time. In terms of grip, size, attack, click, and tone, they are my favorite for electric guitar. Funny how a rank amateur can be so ... picky. :roll:

I've also found a new favorite bass pick, Dunlop 1.14 glow in the dark nylon!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@powerslave214)

I just got 50 of the Ultex Jazz III's in the mail today.

I absolutely LOVE these things! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

your taste will change too as your abilities do.......but for now buy a few cheap ones and go sample

I think this is pretty true.

Certainly from personal experience every time I've "made a leap" I've assessed whether I'm using the right strings/pick.

This latest one a couple of days ago has made me think I should go back to 10s (instead of 9s) and has already made me change from using a .5 for everything to using a .73 more and more.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Looks like Musician's Friend finally has those Ultex JazzIIIs

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Ultex-Jazz-III-Guitar-Picks-6Pack?sku=111004

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I use my fingers...YaY. Though now I am looking for a thumbpick. Any left handed issues in it ?

A can't remember the name of the store, but I had to buy from a special lefty store (I think it's in England) for my lefty thumb picks. Otherwise the pick is backwards. So, until I found these lefty thumb picks, I had to buy righties, put them in a glass of very hot water to soften the plastic, and then rebend it in the opposite direction so that it fits and strikes properly.

Caution: make sure the plastic isn't too hot when forming to your thumb.

Good luck brother south-paw.

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6