Clear all

Springsteen's Highway 29

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@fitzm)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I'm (still) a beginner but want to teach myself Bruce Springsteen's Highway 29. It sounds simple enough "C F AM7 C/G G" but he picks the strings. Can anyone tell me the order in which the strings are picked?

The tabs are easy to find on the net but it doesn't indicate the picking order. Any help welcomed.

Cheers

Fitz

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It's not in my Springsteen song book.

I just looked on You Tube and found a video, but I just can't pick it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXMvpyM2at4 Note the use of a capo. I think it's the third fret.

I did see this on a chord chart. According to the TAB "creator" you just use this pattern throughout, meaning you just pick the C chord the way it shows below and so on and so forth for the other songs.

Picking Pattern and Chord Formations:

C F Am7 C/G G
e |------0-----|------1-----|------0-----|------0-----|------3-----|
B |--------1---|--------1---|--------1---|--------1---|--------0---|
G |---0------0-|---2------2-|---0------0-|---0------0-|---0------0-|
D |------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|
A |-3----------|------------|-0----------|------------|------------|
F |------------|-0----------|------------|-2----------|-2----------|

I'm not sure if this will be right. It might be. He does claim to tune his low E (The thickest string) down to an F so that he doesn't have to fret the bass note on that chord. I would probably not do that and strike the E string on the first fret and bump the C/G and G chords' base notes up to the third fret. So, I think it would end up being:
Picking Pattern and Chord Formations:

C F Am7 C/G G
e |------0-----|------1-----|------0-----|------0-----|------3-----|
B |--------1---|--------1---|--------1---|--------1---|--------0---|
G |---0------0-|---2------2-|---0------0-|---0------0-|---0------0-|
D |------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|
A |-3----------|------------|-0----------|------------|------------|
F |------------|-1----------|------------|-3----------|-3----------|

Do you have a capo? I would use it if you do. If it's on the third fret like I think I can see, then the 4th fret becomes your 1st fret when looking at the TAB. Looking at the video again, this could very well be correct. He does appear to be making those chord shapes.

Hope this does more good than harm. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@fitzm)
Topic starter  

Thx Roy, :D

That's a fantastic reply, much appreciated. One day I hope I can do similar in return.

Cheers

Fitz

ReplyQuote