Clear all

"Stage Fright"

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

After three months of playing I am pretty happy I can do OK versions of a few songs on acoustic and sing along by myself. But put me in front of a family member or GASP a "real" guitar player and I absolutely crumble. I am not shy by nature, and am a bit of a "perfomer" usually, but once I am holding the guitar I am totally unnerved by even the most sympathetic audience.

My daughter has convinced me to do a couple of songs for a gathering we are having tomorrow. Of course I have practised lots, and played for her with OK results, but I am still having the jitters.

Any tips wise ones?

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Well I think most people feel that way. I know I do. The best advice that I could give you is to play a few scales at a slow tempo before you start your first song. I know that I have a tendency to play faster when nervous and it detracts from my performance. Relaxation is the key, acomplishing it can be difficult. Try to get really into your playing, it can reduce your awarness of your surroundings and can of course give you your A game.

Good luck.

And You are a Real guitar player!

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Three months and your singing and playing...you should be proud of yourself for that accomplishment. That's pretty doggone good!!

I still get nervous in front of my teacher and I've been going for about a year now.

I don't have any advice really, other than the obvious to know the song really well.

I can't relate it to gutiar playing since I never have really had a performance for strangers but I know when I played sports I would get that same feeling before every game. It never went away. I wasn't nervous that I couldn't play it was just more of a adrenaline rush anticipating the game. But once that first pitch was thrown or shot was made I was pretty much good to go.

When I stopped losing that anxiousness is when I stopped playing alot of competitive sports..it became a chore more than anything else.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 P0RR
(@p0rr)
Estimable Member

"That first step onstage is an unusual feeling. I'm not sure I can connect it to other people's lives outside of perhaps taking a driver's test. You really want that license.The feeling in your gut means you're sober—and that's good. It also means something's at stake, something that matters. You're taking a risk, which is the essence of all live performance. It's not an entirely comfortable feeling, but it's a necessary one. It happens every time...."
- Bruce Springsteen Esquire Magazine August 2005

Let it rock....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have been trying to play since 5 months and i haven't even performed once.You really have made SOME progress.Just go out and shred it :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I had been playing (and taking lessons) for about 3 months when my little girl announced her wedding in another 4 months. In a moment of lapsed reasoning, I announced to a number of people that I was going to perform a song at the reception. Thankfully, me teacher thought this was possible and was willing to beat a song into my head.

I had never played in front of anyone except my teacher, and I usually managed to play worse in front of him than I did alone. So, aside from the fact that I thought I had made a big mistake, I figured I'd be too nervous to stand.

When the night came, I didn't really think I was ready but hey, it was too late then. It surprised when I wasn't the least bit nervous sitting in front of 150 people.

I remember little of my performance, other than it being a lot of fun. I wished I had learned a couple more songs. Many people at the wedding told me how much they enjoyed it (probably because of whose wedding it was).

No specific tips, but FWIW - my story. Good luck and enjoy it.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

no tips either just wanted to say you're not alone and it's pretty normal.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I really appreciate the support and encouragement. I will read these posts again tomorrow before playing. Very cool people here !!!

Dave T

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

If nothing else do like I do and keep a bucket behind you amp :mrgreen:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

There are people who pick up an instrument and in no time feel ready to go out and perform and never get a bit nervous. I applaud them and wish I could do that.

Now the other 99% of us will always get nervous before a performance whether it be playing, public speaking, sports or whatever it does not matter. I know myself I get over it once I get started and I call it my pre dawn flutters and it happens every time I get out there. And I believe they make me better because it makes me want to do good and put my best into it.

Good luck and enjoy. And in a pinch like Tele said put a bucket behind the amp. :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dave T

It is perfectly normal to be a little nervous. That can be a good thing, it keeps you alert.

My best advice:

JUST HAVE FUN!

Really. Just tell yourself that no matter what happens you are going to have lots of fun. I find this really helps.

Be organized and prepared. Have your songs in order. Have everything arranged (music stand, mic, etc....) Try to set up early so you don't have to rush.

But then have fun. Smile and laugh. You will love it and so will everyone else.

You will be fine. Go out and knock 'em dead! 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If it's really bad try the 'anti-phobia' trick (bit too late for tomorrow though). Next time your practicing, leave the door of the room you're in open. Or sit in the garden. Leave the windows open. Then slowly work towards playing in the living room when a family member is there etc. By isolating yourself while practicing you'll usually only increase the tension.

Anwyay, have fun tomorrow, let us know how it went. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

don't know if this will do any good....but....even if you do make a mistake just play through it. i was watching the Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps DVD and he flubbed huge on the song Thrasher, but he just kept on playing and it sounded fine. i think thats important to be able to do that

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

If you have a chance, take a look at Jamie Andreas's articles on Stage Fright. The first one is here Strage Fright, Part one. Laura Lasley's article on Performance Anxiety is good too.
Remember, everyone's looking forward to the music and is on your side. They intend to enjoy your playing and that's what will indeed happen.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

So, whaddya reckon - how'd he get on?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2