Star Spangeled Bann...

Notifications
Clear all

Star Spangeled Banner...Woo Hoo!!

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I just found the tab to Jimi Hendrix version of Star Spangled Banner and I was PUMPED because I am actually playing a song other than Smoke on the Water!! However I am a bit confused here...if you look where on the first string where the 2 & 4 are I believe that is a slide but I thought the arch above the 2 meant a hammer on?

The second part is a bit more confusing but when I play it it actually sounds like something! If you look at this picture here:

where the 7's start...are those arrows bends? Then the part that goes 5 7 5 on the second string that is a hammer on followed by a pull off right?

Here is the link for the whole song if anyone wants it http://www.blackbeltguitar.com/GuitarAlliance.html . I am sure most of you can play this with your eyes closed but I must have played it like 20 times with the volume all the way up (my poor neighbors!) just because it actually sounded like something!!

Thanks

(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member

the 2nd to 4th fret hammer on on the high E string is actually quite simple to play.

I would do this by using the index finger for the 2nd fret, pluck, then quickly slamming my ring finger onto the 4th fret. thats pretty much it.

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Those are slides. Check the abbreviations beneath the tab. They are explained here: http://guitaralliance.com/guitar_lessons/guide_to_guitar_tablature/index.htm

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thx Arjen...I figured it was a slide by the little "sl" under the tab...but I didn't realize there were different kinds of slides...I guess this particular one you actually pick both notes...

ReplyQuote
(@necrotic)
Eminent Member

Actually, that arch above the slide means a legato slide. You only pick the first note and the second is created from the slide. Thats why it has the arch similar to hammer ons. If there was no arch above the slide, that is a shift slide and in that case you would pick both notes. Hope this helps. :D

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks Necrotic

That clears things up and I can get the sound I want as well!

ReplyQuote