Clear all

Starting Lessons Again Tomorrow

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I took about 6 months of lessons 3 years ago when I first started guitar at the ripe old age of 35. I had to quit the lessons due to family/job commitments. With things a little more clear now, I'm resuming lessons, albeit with a different teacher. Any advice on the "first meeting"? Should I simply review with the teacher what I know, what I'd like to know, and what kind of goals I have? Any advice from the community would be appreciated - I want to (re)start this off on the right foot! Thanks.

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It depends on the teacher, of course.

I personally love a student that has specific goals provided they also are open to allowing me to suggest additional goals or modifications.

Sometimes a student's goals are unachievable in the timeline they envision. More often, they ignore very important and fundamental aspects of musicianship.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

From a students' perspective, I think you should explain to him what you wish to accomplish by taking lessons.
Brief him with your likes and dislikes, just so he knows how to tailor your lessons ...

Sometimes a student's goals are unachievable in the timeline they envision. More often, they ignore very important and fundamental aspects of musicianship.

So true. It's important to realize that the teacher has very little to do with how soon one would become good.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I personally love a student that has specific goals provided they also are open to allowing me to suggest additional goals or modifications.

Kingpatzer makes good points. :)

No matter how matter how much prior thought that you - or a teacher - put into your plans, neither of you are likely to be clairvoyants. The only way you'll find out how you'll fit together is by doing it - and modifying things as you go along. The teacher - who has been through a similar process with other students, often many times - is the one who is more likely to be able to predict and steer the journey though. :)

Beginners not only don't know everything, they often don't even know what all the issues are that they don't know things about... :? The full picture usually only starts to emerge as part of the process of doing.

A general idea of what you know already and where you want to take it is always going to be a useful start. Just don't expect to be able to plan it all in advance. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the advice. The first lesson went well - basically an introduction session, where I showed him what I knew and what I hope to get out of the lessons. My weak point right now is strumming and keeping rhythm, so we'll be working on a lot of that, in addition to hopefully learning some songs. I think I just needed to sit down with someone more experienced - it's awfully hard (if not impossible) just trying to learn this on your own, without any experienced guidance. Thanks again to all!

ReplyQuote