Clear all

Starting over- without a teacher

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Back in 1998, I was enrolled in a university group class. In two terms, I felt like I was in constant pain, trying to keep up with the class, and very confused. In 2001, I took a Music Theory class, which at least convinced me that the amount Ineeded to learn to strum a song was finite. In 2002, I took 2 terms of piano, in order to get a practical understanding of the music theory.

But all of that instruction did not really enable me to do what I wanted to do:

I want to be able to strum and sing folk songs.

I am starting over, sith a DVD by Fender. Right now, I am just practicing the E,A, and D. chords. Hopefully, next week, I will be adding the G and C chords. I also hope to start practicing with a metronome soon. I have marked a number of songs in a songbook that rely on only these chords. I hope to learn the chord progressions for the songs while practicing the chords.

=000000.Right now, I cannot afford instruction. I am wondering if it is a bad idea to start back playing without individual instruction

(@alangreen)

You can achieve quite a lot on your own. You can achieve even more talking to the forum users here. You can achieve almost anything with the right teacher.

Start out with the lessons on this site and ask about anything you don't understand. If we can't come up with the right answer between us here then we're all in trouble.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@matthiasyoung)
Eminent Member

The difficulty with group lessons is that there is not enough individual attention regarding technique. They become more of a play-along class.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend finding a teacher, either in-person or via Skype.

In addition to the DVD you have, there are many other online resources to take advantage of, such as YouTube, Justin Guitar, and Free Guitar Videos

ReplyQuote
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for the kind replies.

I struggle with a bit of a chip on my shoulder, feeling that I don't have any talent, and because of that do not "deserve" to make music. In hindsight, I think that I was likely the only person in the group guitar class with no musical experience.

I think that belonging to this forum, and participating in a musical community will be helpful in getting me through the rough patches.

ReplyQuote
 guy1
(@guy1)

Sounds good, don't give up if you like what you do!
Good luck :)

Music is what life sounds like.
~Eric Olson

check out my blog: http://www.online-music-courses.com

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thank you for the kind replies.

I struggle with a bit of a chip on my shoulder, feeling that I don't have any talent, and because of that do not "deserve" to make music. In hindsight, I think that I was likely the only person in the group guitar class with no musical experience.

I think that belonging to this forum, and participating in a musical community will be helpful in getting me through the rough patches.
I struggle with much the same issues. Gets tough, and revert to the.."I just dont have the talent to do it" and start to give up. The problem with that, is it sticks around after you get better also..... But you need to fight it. Learn that others are not being as hard on yourself as you are. Eaven if you can only play one song, or a few basic chords, you are a better player then over 90% of the people in the world!!! Stick to it, and get a song or two under your belt, and it feels better. When you get down with your playing and think you suck, and want to give up... go to that song or two, and play, and sing along. It does help get you through those times of selfdoupt!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I picked up a copy of David Hodge's book, Complete Idiot's Guide to Guitar from the library, and I really like it. My main reason for liking it is that he focuses more on the right hand early on, so the results sound more musical with less painful contortions of the left hand.. I like it that he introduces songs early on. Also, the included cd lets me hear the lyrical melody over the chords.

The other guitar books I browsed were typically not detailed enough for me to understand without an instructor, or progressed too rapidly to barre chords.

Most importantly, I think this book will actually be fun for me to work through!

ReplyQuote
(@honeyboy)
Estimable Member

Don't forget about those online video guitar lessons. I love the TrueFire stuff and for about $15 per month you can't go wrong. I'm not sure if I can post the link but I'll try...

http://truefire.com/join/

Rick Honeyboy Hart

"It's about tone, taste, and technique... in that order."

http://www.bluesguitarinsider.com
http://www.rickhoneyboyhart.com

ReplyQuote
(@lucille)
Eminent Member

=000000.Right now, I cannot afford instruction. I am wondering if it is a bad idea to start back playing without individual instruction

I am learning guitar for the first time, just used what funds I could spare buying the guitar and accessories which will be here in a week or so. I think lessons from a good teacher are incredibly valuable (Would you put your child in a car after he completed an online/classroom driving course?) but like you, those lessons are not in the budget right now. I'm getting books and CDs and I've already looked at some of the lessons available free on this site.
I know you can do it.

BTW, here is a quote from Calvin Coolidge:

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

The lessons here are quite good, and another site I use often also is Justinguitar.com Very structured and organized, and covers lots of great info. Check both out. I feel it's good to have a number of resources.

ReplyQuote
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have now bought several books, and looked over even more at the library. Also reading articles on the website.
I am borrowing songbooks from the library, and looking for easy songs, and songs where I can substitute the chords I know. I figure if I am going to practice a chord progression, it may as well be a real song.

I am amazed at how beginner unfreindly some "easy" books are. Other books are more appropriate with a teacher to fill in the gaps. I am really glad I did not try guitar on my own before. I would have given up and blamed myself for not being able to learn.

I am amazed that I am making the time for practice several times a day.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

And don't forget, when the books don't explain things so you can understand them just ask someone here. Not like a teacher at a lesson but better than going it alone. I see you got David Hodge's book. I have looked at his lessons here. I came here knowing how to play but I though, where were these things when I was learning! And ....... with his book if you have a question you can just ask him right here. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

(Would you put your child in a car after he completed an online/classroom driving course?) ”

I certainly hope my guitar playing is not so bad as to endanger someone's life!

ReplyQuote
(@lucille)
Eminent Member

What state did you say you were in :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

You will be fine just make sure you keep your right hand always swinging to the pulse and get the chord changes under your belt. However do not be disheartened if the first time you try and sing and play it all goes a bit aschew...... that it is a seperate skill as many people here will be able to tell you.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2