Notifications
Clear all

Strap/Jack

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@face-melter)
Topic starter  

I apologise if this is a stupid question, but I searched back over a couple of months and could find a topic on it.

I've got a semi acoustic with a strap thing (technical term) that's also a jack. I've bought a strap for it but the strap thing (pin? peg?) is much bigger than the one on my electric. I tried stretching the strap over it but it speads out the whole of the little split so it doesn't sort of close behind it and it certainly doesn't look secure. I like to be able to stand up with it so I need a strap that'll fit.

I assume it is intended to hold a strap so I also assume that there are straps made for these kinds of jacks. My question is, if I order a strap online is there any kind of code word or something that I should look out for that would indicate the strap is intended for this kind of jack?

Also, what are strap things actually called? I'm sure I heard peg, pin, button and various others. I like to know I was using the right term.

"Rock stars, is there anything they dont know?" - Homer Simpson

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It's called an end-pin jack. On an acoustic guitar, that strap button is known as the end-pin or end pin, <speculation alert> probably because many makers constructed them in a fashion that makes them resemble giant bridge pins ... except of course, they go into a hole made in the guitars end-block.

Yours is a common problem. I've never seen a strap specially made to fit an end-pin jack, but certain straps do work better than others - more flexible the better. It may help if you snip out a circular or diamond-shaped "hole" in the strap end to enlarge the typically small hole at the end of the strap's slot. Don't make it too big: A little hole will go a long way here. :shock: Also consider: There is usually enough room at the end of the guitar to mount a more "normal" end-pin near the end-pin jack (not too close), and use this for the strap. In this case, I recommend using a screw-mounted end-pin rather than the traditional push-in type. The latter would require a large, reamed-out hole; the former only needs a small pilot hole.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@stratslinger)

Your local guitar shop should have plenty that would fit. I'd just take me guitar there and they'll take care of you. Good luck!

Are You the Next Guitar Hero?
Master the Guitar Step by Step
GuitarMaster.com

ReplyQuote
(@face-melter)
Topic starter  

Hmm, the idea of putting holes in my acoustic, however small, worries me. Strange as I thought nothing about routing out a bigger hole for a new humbucker in my electric. There's just something so perfect about about the finish and craftmanship of the acoustic; I'd literally cry if I damaged it.

As for taking my guitar to a shop with me, I always find guitar shops slightly intimidating places. They tend to be too small for the amount of stock they have so you have to nervously squeese between priceless les pauls etc. And whereas a similar sized shop selling something mundane like shoes might have one or two people working there, guitar shops will always have at least 5, all talking seriously about their failed musical careers or playing something outlandish on one of the guitars. For some one like me who gets embarassed about asking stupid questions it isn't really a comfortable atmosphere. Sadly the shop I actually bought the guitar from which was quite nice and had friendly helpful staff, has closed (damn economic downturn). Luckily I missed their "up to 50% off" closing down sale or I might have made some rash purchases.

I think I'm gonna just keep nosing around. Planet Waves have some interesting locking straps that claim to fit anything, but the style isn't exactly right for a guitar with inlays supposedly based on native american designs. I dont remember any barbed wire or flames in last of the mohicans. I'm gonna be browsing all the shops within 50 miles or so to find my dad a guitar anyway (which is a whole other thread in itself) so hopefully I'll find something suitable.

"Rock stars, is there anything they dont know?" - Homer Simpson

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I have a Gibson SJ-200 that came with one of those and a lovely fake alligator skin strap. I tore the hole in the strap first thing trying to fit it over that endpin jack. Easiest way to do it is to unscrew that endpin piece, put the strap on, and screw the endpin back over the jack.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wmwilson01)

I think I have this issue too, and am equally unable to ask such silly questions. I have an acoustic electric and the end pin jack is just too big for my strap hole. So, this is common and people generally just cut the hole bigger?

On a related note, I just got a Fender Strat and it came with a strap, but one of the holes in the strap just won't fit around the strap pin -- the strap actually came with the little shoelace on it. The only way I know how to use the little shoelace is to tie it up at the nut. Does Fender really intend for me to tie the strap to the neck when there are 2 pins on the thing?

These guitar straps make me feel surprisingly stupid -- they need instruction manuals with them.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

remove the lace and use the hole for your upper bout strap button. if the hole isn't large enough, enlarge it slightly (a little at a time) until it works. sometimes making the slot longer is all that's needed. sometimes enlarging the hole is better. I find an Xacto-knife or diagonal (wire) cutters will cut the leather much more easily than most scissors (unless they are Wiss). be careful with your tools/fingers.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

I looked into this recently myself. I found that the Planet Waves locking strap, while a clever solution, will not fit over a strap-jack. I'm using a cheap strap so I just nibbled the hole for that end large using small scissors.

Not an optimum solution but thought I'd mention that the Planet Waves thing is a no-go.

I can see being intimidated by a guitar store but you might be mistaking 3 of those 5 people hanging out for actual employees ;-)

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@thepalmettopirate)

Hi folks...there is a simple solution to this problem...go to www.strap-jack.com. Let me know what you think.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

solves part of the problem -- for some straps. the strap hole/slot still need to be enlarged and properly shaped for most straps. after that, the straps fall into approx two categories: those that will stay on an end-pin jack securely and those that will not. the strap-jack will help for the latter.

other comments on the strap-jack:
* as a pick, it is easily lost. recommend adding a leash to the design. the leash could be looped through the strap hole -- convenient storage when going "electric"
* if it's made of injection-molded plastic, it may not be strong enough to hold a guitar if the strap pops off the end-pin jack and onto the neck of strap-jack. should be made of delrin or nylon or one of the resilient plastic alloys

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@thepalmettopirate)

Hey

sorry it took so long to respond but I honestly haven't been to this forum since Feb.

First of all, thank you for the attachment suggestion...that's my next product and a great idea.

On your concern about the strength of a Strap-Jack, it is actually made from a polycarbonate material and we tested it by having a 341 lb man stand on it. As we offer on the website, there is a money back guarantee, no questions asked. But also keep in mind...the idea of the Strap-Jack is not to catch the strap when it comes off but to prevent that from ever happening. Strap-Jack was designed specifically to fit flush against the endpin jack and hold the strap in place, so the strap coming off the jack is never a question.

The only question we ever have is whether inserting it into the plug activates the battery in the pre-amp and the answer is no...plastic won't conduct electricity and therefore doesn't complete the circuit.

It really is a great product and we've not had a single return or complaint to date.

Again, thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Joe

ReplyQuote