Clear all

Strap Pin on Guitar?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinkning about buying a used guitar, and the seller gave me this picture. Is this normal?

Thanks... I usually see the pin pointing up, not down. It seems like it'd press on the guitar and mess it up in its case.

(@nineinchrails)
Eminent Member

that's the same way mine is mounted. It doesn't cause problems w/ the case - it just squishes into the fur/foam lining

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How about when wearing the guitar? I actually have an SKB case, not the standard case.

ReplyQuote
(@nineinchrails)
Eminent Member

think about the way that the strap lays on your chest. Imagine a flat plane going down your chest and extend it down to the guitar "heel". The way that the pin lays, it falls in that same plane, not 90 degees off, so it lays flat

<my god, I'm such a f*cking engineer :oops: >

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hm. Doesn't this mean the front of the guitar has a tendency to fall away from you, though?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hm. Doesn't this mean the front of the guitar has a tendency to fall away from you, though?
This is the way the strap pin is mounted on Gibson ES335s (and every other clone of it). I think the Gibson SG also has the pin like this.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Lots of guitars have it that way. My SG and Mockingbird are like that. My Kramer Explorer clone came like that but I moved it. That looks like a hollow body guitar. Not a lot of places where you can put a screw.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It's actually a Takamine EG530SC dreadnought, if people were curious. I've just been looking for an acoustic/electric recently.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

That's about one of 5 places you can put a pin. It's a rock solid point, I wouldn't worry about it!!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote