Clear all

string change?

37 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Nils, cheers mate and thanks for a great site, it is in my favourites folder :D

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Nils, cheers mate and thanks for a great site, it is in my favourites folder :DThanks Rik. These kind of comments are what makes the effort all worthwhile

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well got those d"addairo's on without breaking them :oops: man they have a sweet sound seem to fret alot easier to. thanks for tips and the great links

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Nils, cheers mate and thanks for a great site, it is in my favourites folder :D

Mine too. :D

In fact, when I just went to check I discovered Nils' site was in my favourites folder marked "Guitar Information Sites" and again in the one named "Music".

The only other double mention I could find was Guitarnoise.com ... Now who are they?... :)

Cheers, Chris.

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Well done Tim, and I'll bet they sound even sweeter 'cos you put 'em on :D

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks to the positive feedback that gave me the urge to improve the stringing page AND the constructive comments by Rik and Chris AND the significant recommendations from Chris I have revised the stringing page on my web site. (got rid of the long sentences like that one). Hopefully it is more helpful to people and less confusing.

I just want to repeat my thanks to Chris for taking the time and effort to put his recommendations together. :!:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@mushin)
Eminent Member

I did my first string change yesterday. And I broke the low E string. :(

What I did find before it happened though was that the string seemed to be touching all the frets or pretty close to them. I think this is because I tried using 10-47s instead of the 12-52s that were on it and the 47 sat deeper into the nut due to its thinner profile.

I had a spare set of 12-52s so installed them and the clearances are back to wehre I expect them. I also adjusted the action slightly to bring it to Bass just over 6/64 and treble 5/64.

The strings sound very tinny at the moment. I am hoping this is mainly because they are new and will settle once I play them a bit. (my old strings were about 8 months old and copped about 5-6 hours a week, sometimes more, so the change in sound is obvious)

I did notice the 1st fret had some flat spots under where the strings sit. Is this normal due to wear? should I be doing something about it ( I assume it will eventually make fretting notes harder?)

BTW- I referred to Nils' page prior to beginning to reference and aqauant myself with the task at hand. Thanks Nils.

Cheers

Mick

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3