Clear all

String Help

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ricrey99)
Topic starter  

Hey all!

I am new to the guitar world at the ripe old age of 46. I recently purchased a resonator guitar as my first. I broke a string Saturday night and would like to purchase a new set (2 sets actually). However I am somewhat confused as to what to purchase. I know this is a vague description as to what I need, but thought I could get some guidance.

Thanks in advance!

(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

well since your new guitar 9 guage strings would be best for you. for the makes of the strings i suggest DR or daddario(i think thats how its spelled if not someone correct me)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Personally i wouldn't rely on anyone on here to tell you ABSOLUTELY the right strings. I would either go into the shop where you bought it and ask what strings are already on it (even if they don't know they should be able to measure the guage themselves) OR phone the manufacturer.

A guitar with the wrong strings on is a much bigger problem than people realise, so it would pay to make the effort to get this info.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't resonator's come with MUCH thicker strings? If so, going with 9s would create tons of buzz...

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

EXACTLY!

ReplyQuote
(@ricrey99)
Topic starter  

Now that you mention it, I thought that I had a buzz before I broke the string....hummmm!?

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the Musical Madhouse.

Yep, take it to the shop and they can measure the strings on the guitar and make the best recommendation.

And if you're just starting out the buzz you heard might be due to your technique not to the string gauge. As your technique improves, the buzz might disappear.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

ricrey99: if you have a friend with a wire gauge, you might be able to find out the string diameter. Or even calipers <sp?>. Then you could check out juststrings.com and see if there's anything you like.

Oh and about the original strings: you might be able to contact the manufacturer and see what they ship that particular model with. Might be quicker.

Take care.

By the way, is it a dobro type with a square neck (in the back) or round like a regular guitar? In other words do you play just with a slide or steel, or do you play it like a regular guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@ricrey99)
Topic starter  

Hey All,

I got my string issue figured out last night at the music store, ended up just buying the high E which was a .016 I believe. They didn't have a complete set for my resonator. By the way it's a round neck.

Thanks for all the help!! I appreciate it. I'm sure you'll hear from me again.

ReplyQuote