Clear all

String Noises

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm practicing scales and modes. As I go up the scale from the low E string, I notice that i'll get a string sound from when my finger leaves a fret and goes to the next note. Is this inevitable or is it undesirable?

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi pearlthekat,

It doesn't seem to be a problem when I play scales, so maybe it's not inevitable. Maybe I've misunderstood what your problem is, but this is how it works for me:

Firstly, each finger has a separate fret to work across. For instance, in the first position all the notes using fret 1 would be played only using the index finger, fret 2 the middle, 3 ring, 4th fret pinky only. So each "next note" uses a different finger. This means that the previous finger can stay where it is for a fraction of a second while the next note starts. By the time I need to lift a finger off, the note it was playing will either have been muted by the next finger landing on that string, or it will have mostly stopped ringing anyway. So as long as I lift off cleanly and don't do an accidental 'pull-off' as I lift, there don't seem to be any problems.

This all happens very quickly, and the fingers aren't being left there for any length of time. But because I'm using a new one for each next note I don't seem to hear any obvious lift-off sounds from the previous one. Hope that makes sense... :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

I can't lift my ring finger off the low E string without playing a note either. My finger just seems to stick the string and I play a pull off. I would be interested to know how to stop that as well. Should I oil my fingertips? :wink:

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@globetro)
Estimable Member

I can't lift my ring finger off the low E string without playing a note either. My finger just seems to stick the string and I play a pull off. I would be interested to know how to stop that as well. Should I oil my fingertips? :wink:

If you're playing electric guitar (especially with a lot of distortion), you need to mute the strings you're not playing. For any strings above the string you're playing (the strings closer to the ceiling), lightly touch the palm of your picking hand against them to keep them from ringing. And for the strings below the string you're playing (the strings closer to the floor), lay the index finger of your fretting hand lightly over the strings you want to mute.

It's weird that string muting is such an important and fundamental part of guitar playing, yet not much attention is ever paid to it. I think I've finally managed to get some of my string noise under control, but I still get unwanted noise every now and then... especially when I'm doing bends :oops: .

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

It's weird that string muting is such an important and fundamental part of guitar playing, yet not much attention is ever paid to it. I think I've finally managed to get some of my string noise under control, but I still get unwanted noise every now and then... especially when I'm doing bends :oops: .

Thats a very good point there are so many different Techniques to muting its hard to keep up

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

So, how's it going pearlthekat?

Are you having any luck reducing the noise? Are you doing the 'by the book' method of using one finger per fret (including using the pinky), or are you jumping around a bit and trying to get away with using less fingers? Is it happening when you try to use the same finger to fret consecutive notes or what? Did you work out if the noise is caused by the finger sticking on the string, or flicking as you lift off or what? You didn't give much info there.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been working on it but not as much as i should because i'm working on other things, too. someone has showed me how to mute with the right hand thumb which seems to be working out a little but i need more practice. i use one finger per fret and it happens when i move to another string because then both fingers are off the one itat i'm moving from. i'm not sure exactly why it occurs because it may not be anything that i'm doing, it may just be a natural occurrence. i don't think it's possible to lift your finger from the string when playing in time without some unwanted noise. if you're playing chords it may not be noticed but when working on scales, like i was doing, you definately hear it.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'm practicing scales and modes. As I go up the scale from the low E string, I notice that i'll get a string sound from when my finger leaves a fret and goes to the next note. Is this inevitable or is it undesirable?

It goes with the territory. You can't eliminate it completely

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The string sound you mention will come, but with practice it can be made almost inaudible.

Watch your fingers. You have to sometimes mute the string you are leaving as you progress to play on the other string.

Keep playing.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Changing your fretting hand angle also helps.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I've been working on it but not as much as i should because i'm working on other things, too.

That just about sums up my entire guitar playing experience so far. :)

There always seems to be another aspect of guitar to work on that pushes back the time I planned to spend on something else.... :wink:

One of the intriguing things that I've noticed though is that although many things just must have dedicated time spent on them, others seem to simply improve with time. For instance, I remember when I first started that my fingers were (as we often find) too big, too clumsy etc and always seemed to cause mutes or buzzing. But while I was busy trying to get the general overall chord shapes and changes working, working out strumming and picking, and a million other things, the fingers just slowly got 'smaller' and more accurate. It happened in tiny amounts, presumably due to small subconscous decisons based on experiencing slight variations working better than other.

So you might find that one day you'll suddenly think "Hey, those noises have more or less disappeared!" Here's hoping. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Are you sure that you're not pulling down on the string somewhat (making a small unintentional bend)? If it's only the low E string that might be the cause. Try bringing the fingers straight down on the strings. I used to have a similar problem because of just this reason.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote