Clear all

String problem

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi! I have to say that it's difficult for me to explain my problem in english.. Hope you'll understand what I mean

I've just changed me electric guitar string... Was not the first time I did that but it seems I didn't "put enough string around the tuning key"...

The string don't make a complete turn around the key... I did that on the 5th string and the first...

The 5th string is still in place but the 1st got off the key and I'll have to buy another one

Should I change the 5th string too?

My tuning key are very short, and I didn't want to have too much string around them (because the string will turn over itself)

(Oh my god, I can't understand myself... :lol: )

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I would change them both. You have to buy a complete set anyway and that will save aggravation later if it comes off while you are playing.

Normally I shoot for three windings maybe four with the thinner strings. Next time, just in case don't cut the excess string until you are happy.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You have to hold tension on the string with one hand, keeping it down in the tuning slot, while you tighten it with the other hand. Do it that way and it won't loop up and pop over the top of the tuning post. It also won't ball up in an ugly mess that slowly takes up slack throwing off your tuning for days after changing strings. Keep it tight. You have to learn to estimate how much extra string to hold back below the nut to give the proper wrap around the post. After years of doing this, I still tend to wind too much string on the post.

It would help to have three hands when you're doing all this, of course.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I agree with Ricochet, you need time for learning to estimate the amount on extra string. The video shows how to change guitar strings and gives some advices on it. It is by Justin Sandercoe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHeFA_qlR0I

But you can buy just one string, you don't need to buy a set. I broke the 5th this summer when I was changing all the strings. I just buy a new 5th.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You can also buy bulk strings in single gauges, make your own sets, and replace what you want when you want. I've bought 'em that way from: http://juststrings.com/

Your English, Clau20, is better than my French. :D

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your advice, I think I'll change them all. But is it a problem if a string rolled up over itself?

Because, like I said, the keys on my guitar are very short, and the 6th string rolled over the extra string that goes out of the key hole (hope you understand, but check that picture:

)

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think that'll be OK.

ReplyQuote