Clear all

String Replacement Questions

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@bluesy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I understand I should probably replace the aging strings on my guitar as I've had it for almost 4 years and never changed the stings. Although, I haven't played it regularly for more than the past few months. Since I'm a total newb I have some (most likely) basic questions that I need help with. I'm sure this has all probably been covered before, but I don't seem to be finding much easily with the search; please don't flame me too much :lol:.

I guess I'll start with the guitar first as I believe that can rule out certain strings. I have a Peavey International Series Raptor I, which I think is just your run of the mill stratocopy. The only way I could figure out how to post a picture was by using Google Docs so hopefully this works - http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfp6kz5f_0gqjddrcs . Assuming that works, let me know if you need a closer view of the bridge area. It would seem the bridge is fairly standard, but I cannot seem to find whether it is one of the types that can only take certain gauge strings. It looks as though the guitar had a tremolo bar at one point that was removed (prior to my purchasing it), but I'm not sure if that matters any. Before I rant too much further, is my choice of string size limited by my guitar at this point?

Also, related to the question above, I'd eventually like to start playing heavier rock; from what I can gather typically one wants to use thicker strings for heavier music, but there seems to be some disagreement on that depending on whether one is doing lead or rhythm work. Should I stick with what seems to be "standard" 9's or go with something thicker?

Edit: Should I really be looking to change the tone of my guitar that much with a different set of strings? Perhaps I'm just missing something...

One last question that I know nobody has a "true answer" for since a lot of it boils down to personality. Any recommendations on the brand/type of strings I should looking to get? From what relevant info I could find, I know I'll have to experiment with different bands/types of strings to find those that I like best. I'm just looking for some suggestions to lead me down the right path considering that for the time being at least I'm most interested in playing rock/heavier rock.

Thanks!

Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I understand I should probably replace the aging strings on my guitar as I've had it for almost 4 years

I'd eventually like to start playing heavier rock; from what I can gather typically one wants to use thicker strings for heavier music, but there seems to be some disagreement on that depending on whether one is doing lead or rhythm work. Should I stick with what seems to be "standard" 9's or go with something thicker?

If someone teaches tuning they should also explain just what happens to old strings. Dirty and stretched strings will still work...but be dull. The WORST thing that happens to old strings is that they get "zebra stripes" on them from contact with the frets. Four years??? Sheesh! :?

Heavy rock needs a LIGHTER touch with MORE power coming out of your axe & amp combination...and how you lean into your speakers for sustain just shy of loud feedback...not heavier strings. It's all in your touch, not the strings...so hang in there and just keep at it...

Hope this helps!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

From reading some of Cat's posts, he sounds like a very experienced player, but I have to disagree with the comment about heavier strings not affecting tone. I believe they do result in a more powerful tone, but it is true that amp choice and settings will probably have a more noticeable effect than which strings you use.

I currently use gauge 10 strings, but may move up to 11s at some point if my hands can take it. The key thing about changing string gauge is to do it gradually - if you jump from, say, gauge 9 to gauge 12 strings, you will find it very taxing on your hands, and your playing may suffer. You could also cause yourself injury if you attempt to bend the strings and your hands are not strong enough to cope with it. But if you use 9's for a month or two, then 10s for a months or two, then 11's, and so on, the muscles in your hand will have time to develop, so injury is less likely. Damage to your guitar by suddenly increasing the tension is also minimised (although I would recommend getting a guitar tech to set up your guitar if you are planning to gradually shift from 9s to 12s, as adjustments will likely have to be made to the guitar to prevent damage being suffered by it).

I find that using 9s results in my intonation being slightly off. I play a lot of blues and bluesy music, so I bend the strings a lot. I also switch between rhythm and lead a lot. Having heavier strings prevents some of my sloppyness showing up as out-of-tune notes. I'm so used to 10s that playing 9s or 8s feels like playing elastic bands to me now. I also find the notes sustain better when using heavier strings.

This bit might just be me, hopefully others will comment on it, but I find strings feel a lot looser the longer they have been on the guitar, like there is less tension in them. So, I would recommend you go for gauge 9 strings first. That is probably what you currently have on your guitar, but a fresh set of 9s may feel a bit stiffer than the old ones you're currently using. In a few months, or when you feel comfortable with 9s, you can move up to gauge 10 should you wish, but you don't have to (9s tend to be the standard string gauge for some reason). There shouldn't be any problem with the bridge regarding what size strings you can use, but you may need to widen the string slots in the nut (at the head of the guitar). Again, going to a guitar tech is the best thing for a beginner in this case. They can do this for you quite easily. Once you are more experienced, you might wish to get into doing these alterations yourself (a route I encourage!), but as a beginner, you are likely to make mistakes.

As far as brands go, please bear in mind that the following comments are purely based on my personal experience...

Fender bullets - I got a whole box of them for free a few years back. I didn't use the full box, and still have a few packets left. This is because I found they broke very easily. It wasn't just one bad packet (which can happen) - this was the case with pack after pack, and they would always break in the same place. It seems like they have/had a major design flaw.

Ernie Balls - these are my main strings. I have found them to last well, and the quality seems fairly consistent. I'd wax lyrical about them, but Ernie Ball have yet to offer me an endorsement deal, so I'll just say that if you got these you should find they do the job very well.

Rotosound - my go-to brand if the shop doesn't have any Ernie Ball strings in. Again, my comments are as per the Ernie Ball strings. I think Rotosound may be slightly cheaper than Ernie Ball, but both brands are good and dependable, so a pack of either should do you well.

I hope this helps.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@gosurf80)
Eminent Member

Strings are really personal preference, but theres one rule of thumb that is kind of standard- You should always try to keep fresh strings on you guitar. Fresh strings will give you an overall better sound regardless of what gauge you use.

As far as brands go, Ernie Balls are the way to go, D'addario also makes great strings, but they're typically slightly more expensive. Balls are cheap and reliable, and tons of gigging musicians use them.

As far as gauge goes, I'd stick with 9's for now. It sounds like you're probably a slightly less experience player, and they will give you enough control to build some strength gradually.

A lot depends on what you want to play, but as a general rule- the fatter the string, the fatter the tone.

ReplyQuote
(@bluesy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Four years??? Sheesh! :?

In my defense, I've only been playing the guitar regularly for the past few months. But, yes those string were shot.

I did end up replacing the strings. Luckily, I got two sets of strings as I planned on comparing them, but I broke a high-e string on the first set :oops: . I had picked up both Ernie Ball and D'Addario 9's; the Ernie Ball strings were the first ones I tried so I'll have to replace the high-e string before using those. I did compare the old to new strings while replacing them and I do believe it was 9's on there already. If I wanted to switch to 10's at some point, would it be recommended to have the guitar adjusted? I realize if I make a huge jump I would, but should I have it done for one gauge up?

Thanks for the advice everyone! I can definitely hear the difference between my old strings and new ones.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm sure 9's came on them. If you go to 10's or higher some time, you might find that you're lifting the bridge a bit too much when you get them in tune. You might need to tighten it back some. I'm sure Peavy will have some sort of manual online suggesting how to do this. If not, it's fairly simple and we can get into that if you need when the time comes. For now, the 9's will do you fine.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

but I have to disagree with the comment about heavier strings not affecting tone. I believe they do result in a more powerful tone.

Okay...you score on the pure physics of "tone vs size". If you insist on plunking along...and THINK that the strings will do the bit that your "refined playing technique" should be doing...well, what can I say? :? But in REALITY...use a hot pickup...get your action as low as poskibule...pickups as close to the strings as poskibubble...and go light. Rely on the "electric" aspect part of the "electric" guitar and use it for 'zacly what it is: electric! Rome wasn't built in a day and you won't figure this out tuhmarruh...but a Boxster is really easier to drive than a bulldozer, take my word for it!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote