Clear all

String Size

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@georgejw22)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I never been much of a stickler on the strings I purchased and more times than not I usually just picked up what was on sale. But, I recently upgraded from the world of Acoustic to the O' so different world of the electric with this gem of a pack.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-and-Amp-Pack-513157-i1320794.gc

Off subject and I have no comparison really but this guitar is heaven and I've been in pure ecstacy playing this thing. I never thought my hands could move so smoothly and be so nimble until this sweet hunk of wood came into my life. :mrgreen:

But I digress, As far as I know and according to my unmatched glee this thing is set up perfectly for me. No adjustments needed and I'd be afraid to, as it might change something. Well, last night during an intense session of Pinch Harmonics I snapped my High E string. Finally, My question is; what is the standard string used on factory new Ephiphone Les Pauls? Size and Brand. I've went through the paper work I got with the guitar and I've checked online but really can't find any info to guide me in my string purchase. Or does someone know of a replacement size and brand that closely matces the factory set-up?

All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff. ~ Frank Zappa
I've got blisters on my fingers. ~Ringo Starr
Music is spiritual. The music business is not. ~ Van Morrison

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hmmmmmm. My memory's a bit hazy. I think that my Epi LP Custom came with 10's on it. I've been using the Gibson Vintage Re-issues on it, but my switch after I run out. Using D'adds for most eveyrthing else these days. When I bought it, they did a fresh string change and made sure th set-up was good. (didn't have to do much) I'm pretty sure that it did not have 9s on it when I test drove it. I almost remember him telling me there were 10's on it.

Sorry I'm not so clear.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I do believe they string .10's on the LP's.

Of course you'll want to change all your strings eh? As far as experimenting with other sizes you could probably get away with the larger .11's and not worry much about your setup since the tension on electrics is much less than on acoustics.

If you do string up .11's and the action seems higher, just turn the finger screws on the bridge 'clock-wise' a few half turns to nudge your action down just a bit.

Grats on your new aquisition BTW.

Keep on a Rockin!! :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I thought that Epi's got strung with 9's.

Easy to check, if you have a gauge (micrometer). The low E on a set of 9's is .042" and the low E on 10's is .046".

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@georgejw22)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys for the responses,

working at a machine shop, I think I'll just measure it up according to greybeard's numbers. By the way greybeard did you notice your sitting on post 6666 :twisted: best repost quick.

Another question; when I set the new strings up I'll probably have to reset the inotation, right? Which seems pretty straightforward but my instructions, I think, with the guitar said to use harmonics at twelve. Can I get away with just fretting at twelve and adjusting the screws accordingly or is it just best to leave it alone or have someone else do it. I may not have to mess with it but I'd hate to get everything out of whack. :cry:

All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff. ~ Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

You might not have to.

I've been lucky with mine, I've only had to set/reset mine twice in the 4 years or so I've owned one. Reminds me I should check the next string change.

I was checking all the time at first, but it was never really out of 'tolerance' after I set it initially so I plumb forget to check most string changes. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

By the way greybeard did you notice your sitting on post 6666 :twisted: best repost quick.

Ahhhhhhhh, but my telephone number ends in 666...................

incidentally, there is a lot of argument (amongst scholars) as to whether 666 really is the number of the beast. The original translation, which has been proven by modern scientific methods, used to read previously unreadable portions of the manuscript, gives the number as 616.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@cuppajack)
Eminent Member

Ha, I just went through this as well!

After MUCH searching I found a .PDF on the Gibson site that specs what strings get put on all Epiphone's guitars from the factory. Of course I can't find the link now, but I'd be happy to email you the pdf...

But the answer is all Epi electrics (with the exception of "large body arch-tops") get strung with .010s from the factory!

I went down to .09s and had a full set-up done and my LP plays ever better now!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

incidentally, there is a lot of argument (amongst scholars) as to whether 666 really is the number of the beast. The original translation, which has been proven by modern scientific methods, used to read previously unreadable portions of the manuscript, gives the number as 616.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board for Iron Maiden then......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Looks like it's back to the drawing board for Iron Maiden then......

:D :D :D

Vic

Dali Lima is going to be SOOO PeeeED OFF!!!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@georgejw22)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I measured my low E last night and it measured .046 so I'll be going with the 10's when I hit the music store today. Now I just have to decide on the brand once I get there. As for the inotation. I understand the concept of the adjustment and I figure what better way to understand my new baby than to play with all her different adjustments a bit so I'll give it a check over and try to make any adjustments accordingly and if all else fails I'll take her into the music shop to get readjusted. Thanks everyone for your responses.

As for the conversation of the 666 :evil: I never been one to want any temptation so if the register at the store rings up $6.66 I'm buying me a piece of jerkey or something. Call it a quirk. :roll:

ReplyQuote