Clear all

stringing guitar

18 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

so i decided to restring my guitar. I had bought a 3 pk of light gauge strings. I had watched videos and read alot on the subject and thought i could do it. Well the first string i tried to replace, i broke up at the tuning pegs area prob from taking it out and restringing it too many times to try and get it right lol, so thankfully i had a spare one. It wasnt as easy as it looked. The 2nd time i got it on there, but it seems a little loose..the 6th string(thickest one). I can get it in tune but the first fret seems a little loose and buzzes some, it just doesnt seem like its tight enough. I have 2 more sets of new strings and i want to change them all but if i keep breaking strings, i will never have a full set lol. The first day i received the guitar the 4th string broke when i was tuning it! Cheap strings i think..thats why i want to change them.

~Excuse Me If I Have Someplace In My Mind, That I go From Time To Time~

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

What sort of guitar do you have? (got pictures?)
What guide(s) are you mainly following?

The first time is always a bit nerve racking, but we all manage eventually.

It really is easier if someone shows you in person, but it's not impossible to learn the way you are doing it.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

its a Silvertone SD50..no pics yet but I'll try and get some up in the next few days. I was just going off of you tube videos really. If there is one in particular that is good that anyone knows of, please post me the link. Unfortunately I dont know anyone to show me in person.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

A nice new 6th string quite often does buzz. Once it settles in, you should find that it behaves itself a bit better.

This video's not bad - nice clear set of instructions. For the plain strings, though, I'd wind the string round the tuning post a couple of times before feeding it through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6klYBJCjWI

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

its a Silvertone SD50..

Like this?

The video Allan posted has some good close-ups.
One thing to remember, as Allan said, the thinner strings need a bit more on the post than the bass strings do. This allows for less slipping, thus better tuning stability. Just don't create a big ball of extra string. The wraps around the tuning post shouldn't overlap.

This is also a good description of how to re-string.

Also, while you don't need the tools they are using in the video, they can be handy to have.
I don't have either, though. I just have a simple string winder:

And whatever you do, don't make it look like this:

or this

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Not a video, but pretty good descriptions with pictures here. (Note: I do one string at a time instead of taking them all off at once.)

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing1.html

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

its a Silvertone SD50..

Like this?

Yup that is my guitar

ReplyQuote
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

For the plain strings, though, I'd wind the string round the tuning post a couple of times before feeding it through.

I dont understand how you mean to wind them before threading it through..not picturing that in my head right as being able to wind them first

ReplyQuote
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This video's not bad - nice clear set of instructions. For the plain strings, though, I'd wind the string round the tuning post a couple of times before feeding it through.

I tried that method of securing the the string before winding and it just didnt work how i wanted and i ended up breaking the string at the post because i redid it so many times, it was just permanently kinked up and i made a mess out of it. Also how do you know how much extra string to keep as to wind it with just 2 or 3 wraps?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

What I do is to hold the string out straight, keeping the guitar body at the other end of the sofa so I've got both hands round the headstock. Using one hand to keep the string from popping up over the top of the tuning post, I wrap the string round the post (usually) three times. Then, still using one hand to stop the string popping off the post, I push the end of the string through the hole, the idea being that it pops out the other side between the windings. Still using one hand to stop the string popping off the post, I start turning the tuner. Hold that string in place until it gets close to being tight.

That way, you're not trying to work out in advance how much string equals three or four windings.

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@size9)
Eminent Member

This was the best one I could find:

http://www.guitarzonline.com/free-tools/tips/how-to-restring-a-guitar/

Learn How To Play Guitar With Today's Top FREE Videos. Learn To Play Guitar, See Reviews, Shop Beginner Guitars and much more!....

Interested in Guest Blogging For GuitarZonline? Apply @ our Guitar Guest Blog!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

We know you're connected to that site, but we'll forgive the bias as the video is in fact extremely good.

ReplyQuote
(@size9)
Eminent Member

We know you're connected to that site, but we'll forgive the bias as the video is in fact extremely good.

LOL! Thanks Alan! That's why I have it on there. :mrgreen:

Learn How To Play Guitar With Today's Top FREE Videos. Learn To Play Guitar, See Reviews, Shop Beginner Guitars and much more!....

Interested in Guest Blogging For GuitarZonline? Apply @ our Guitar Guest Blog!

ReplyQuote
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

im just scared to do it now. Im already 1 E string short in one of the 3 pks..what if i mess up again. Im definitely going to wait now awhile until i absolutely need to do it.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

im just scared to do it now. Im already 1 E string short in one of the 3 pks..what if i mess up again.
Most music stores sell single strings.

And, some brands of strings come with an extra of the 1 or 2 skinniest strings.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2