Stringing Problem

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys...
I was restringing my guitar in a hurry, because I had lessons that after noon (this was yestarday) and since I have a guitar with vintage tuning keys, with the holes in keys, and I cut the string too long (the A string). I was suppsosed to call it third key and cut it, but I cut it 1 1/2 inch past the headstock, like I was supposed to do for the 1st string, small E string. I don't know how. :oops: I was wondering if this is going to hurt the neck because of to much tension? If it does, should I just buy a single A string to restring it, because I just restrung the rest of the strings (am in the proccess). Thanks for the help!!! 8)

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

did you have to put on alot of extra winds?
if so, you may encounter tuning problems
similar if you had too few winds.
but those would be the only problems you'd have.
dont worry about string tension as you have the proper string .

i make mistakes when I rush while changing strings.
I like them to lay nicely around th winder post.
lesson learned: take your time.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Don't worry about the neck. Unless you have a very old guitar, it has a truss rod which makes it basically immune to neck tension anyway.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

AHHHH, so I am not the only one who sometimes messes up when restringing! :D

I would get a new string and restring at least that string, or you will probably have tuning problems with the one on the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

AHHHH, so I am not the only one who sometimes messes up when restringing! :D

I consider myself a pro when it comes to messing up restringing. :lol:

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

I consider myself a pro when it comes to messing up restringing. :lol:

Yeah, same here. I shudder every time I think of even thinking about restringing.

Looks like we got a lot of guys here from CO ^^. Go Buffs! 0-5!

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

If I understand you correctly, you got more winds on the tuning peg than you actually wanted. That won't put any more tension, so you're fine. I have to wonder why you cut the strings before you're wind them tho. I'd be worried to get them too short. Could you (for my own curiosity) post your method of restringing?

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

If I understand you correctly, you got more winds on the tuning peg than you actually wanted. That won't put any more tension, so you're fine. I have to wonder why you cut the strings before you're wind them tho. I'd be worried to get them too short. Could you (for my own curiosity) post your method of restringing?
I have to cut the strings before I wind them because I have the Fender 70's reissue: http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0137000306 The tuning pegs are vintage, so they string differently: http://www.fender.com/support/setup/stratsetup.php (Scroll down for stringing) I hope this clears it up...
Thanks for all your help guys. I was worried for a second.
8)

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Well I have enough trouble just changing strings the regular way, I can never seem to get but maybe 1 or 2 wraps on the pegs.

ReplyQuote