Clear all

Stringing Question

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've looked at several sites about stringing guitars, and all of them say not to remove all the strings at once. Any reason?

(@slydog)
Reputable Member

Probably because removing all the strings at once would release too much tension and the neck could go out of adjustment. Replacing one string at a time keeps constant tension on the neck.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

It's a myth, don't believe it.
You should take the oportunity, when all the strings are off, to do some general maintenance and the cleaning that is difficult-to-impossible when the strings are in place.

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

I always take 'em all off :oops: The only problem you might run into is the nut falling off if it isn't glued down.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I believe if you've got a Floyd Rose locking tremelo it's recommended that you change one string at a time.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Alan is correct and the same extends to almost every floating trem design -- unless blocked with a (wooden) wedge or proper tool, removing all strings at once may be a bad idea. In some designs, it just makes putting in the new strings more difficult; in others, it can actually mar the finish of the guitar as the trem springs force the bridge plate against the top.

Les Paul-type bridges (Tune-O-Matic) and stop tail pieces have their own issues. Unless one is careful or has post-lock versions, the strings are the only things that hold properly fitted bridge and tail pieces in place. Lot of LPs have been scratched by unwitting owners who removed all the strings, only to have loose parts do a dance on a beautifully figured top.

The neck should never have an issue with complete string removal.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have an Ibanez RG120... so would that be a problem? I think I have some kind of vibrato thingie - is a tremolo any different?

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Vibrato and tremolo are the same thing, at least in the guitar world. Vibrato is change in pitch, temolo change in volume, but either term applies to the arm that changes the pitch of the strings.

Also, some people call it a whammy bar or simply a trem.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

IIRC, Leo Fender was the first to apply incorrectly the name "tremolo" to that mechanical vibrato device his team created for the new Stratocaster. That misguided name obviously stuck.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Remember Leo was one a heck of an engineer but he wasn't a player.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote