Clear all

Strings Broken & Soloing.

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was just playing around with my guitar the other day, and my middle string came off.. I was like "Oh -beep-" hehe. So I now have a 5 string guitar with the middle string missing! I'm going to get a string after school on Friday, does anybody know how I would put the string back on my guitar? Or anything I need to know?

Also, with soloing, is it just picking a different strings on different frets, but doing it really fast? (if you get what I mean, I'm not explaining myself very well).

Hm, it's funny, when you have a 6 string guitar it just looks at you, but when you can't play it with 5 strings it's really rather annoying! o.O

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Unless you just recently changed the strings I would go ahead and change them all. You can look at the stringing section on my site and see if that helps.

I don't quite get your question on soloing but basically what it is playing something by yourself and it could be single notes, chords or a combination of both and fast or slow depending on the song.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

Stringing the guitar is no big deal, and there's any number of quick easy tutorials online for it. One thing I would recommend, is getting more then one set of strings, because the first time I tryed to string mine, the high e broke and I had to make an extra trip.

As for soloing, I can't quite solo yet, but I'm pretty sure it's any combination of strings that sound good. There are some rules to know, like what key your in and then scales are helpful, but I haven't gotten too far into that yet.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Chlozo,

Was that a serious post or were you kidding? Change your strings and then go straight to the 'lessons' section of this site or here - http://guitarlessonworld.com/

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

I've always been taught to restring using a whole pack, that way you'll be sure not to get any deviance in the tone or quality, even if only 1 string broke. That's my dad's mandate on restringing. :wink:

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

For practicing solos try this: http://www.guitarnoise.us/scales/Scales.htm from Nils GN link. Learn those scales so you can get used to your fingers moving from fret to fret, also try and play along with your favorite songs.

The dreaded metronome might be useful for you being able to learn how to play fast if that is one of your goals. You'd want to start out slow and work your way up for speed.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I've always been taught to restring using a whole pack, that way you'll be sure not to get any deviance in the tone or quality, even if only 1 string broke. That's my dad's mandate on restringing. :wink:

That's actually about right I think, usaully after breaking one string, if i try to just replace the one string, another one breaks and it just makes sense to replace the whole set.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Actually, if you wait for some of the other strings to break as well, you will find the soloing gets easier and easier!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Actually, if you wait for some of the other strings to break as well, you will find the soloing gets easier and easier!

LOL :D

I have broken strings in the middle of a song or solo at gigs many times. You really have no choice but to keep playing. Some times you can fret the chord at a different position. For instance if you were to play a D barre chord at the 5th fret and your A string breaks, then you might play a D open chord.

Breaking a string during a solo can actually be a good thing. It forces you to play differently and skip strings. Sometimes you play a better solo because of it.

You can still pick the broken string too. Makes some really wierd sounds. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote