Strings "ringing" (and not the way how they should

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@hello)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I just got my first acoustic western guitar and i'm very pleased with it. I've played on a friends Spanisch guitar, but now i'm having some difficulties adapting to my new guitar. The biggest problem is that when i'm strumming i can't get my chord to sound right. There almost always a string that's ringing against a fret like it's not pressed hard enough while i'm almost breaking my fingers fretting the chords. I could play these chords almost without effort on the Spanisch guitar. Is this normal when you're switching from Spanish to Western?

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I assume the "Spainish" guitar had nylon strings if so then yes it would be easier to fret chords on it compared to a "western" guitar don't worry though you just need to build up strength in your fingers . You will notice your western guitar plays somewhat louder than your freinds spainish guitar. Hang in there it's not a race 8) 8) 8) 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Technic is another factor possibly.
You may have gotten away with it playing the Spanish guitar but not now.
It really doesn't take as much pressure to play cleanly as you might expect. It is more important on where you fret than how hard.
Your fingers should be as close as possible to the fret without being on top of them.
Set may be another issue.
Is the fret your playing the one that is buzzing or one farther up the neck?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Nah - Spanish guitars are very very very unforgiving if you're technique's weak.

Sounds like it could be a fret standing a little proud.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

not enough information to diagnose

try playing each string of the chord individually, using only your index finger.

do they ring funny then?

If not, it's probably your technique.

If they do, figure out which string it is. One of the frets on that string is probably high.

Did you change string gauges? How long have you been playing?

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

"There almost always a string that's ringing against a fret like it's not pressed hard enough while i'm almost breaking my fingers fretting the chords."

You shouldnt have to press that hard to fret a chord.

I think Nicks avice is good, play each note of the chord and listen to how they sound, this may help you isolate your problem. You may need to work on you finger placement, try and play with the tips of your fingers, stay close to the frets, and a light touch will be better than a death grip.

Best of luck......

ReplyQuote