Clear all

Strings sounding...Dull

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@soxzs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Good evening guys, hope everyone is well =)

About a week ago i bought a Gibson Dove, and while i was at the store, one of the guys said i should try out these Ernie Ball Coated Acoustic strings, as they were "awesome". "Awesome sounds good" i thought, and he was chucking them in for free so i thought why not.

I always change my strings on a new guitar the day i bring it home, although i played about with it for a while before and it sounded sweet! Anyhoo, i thought it stick on these new Ernie Acoustic strings as apposed to my usuall EJ17's which i use on all my acoustics.

Stuck em on, tuned it up and they sounded pretty nice. Didn't give as crisp a tone as new D'addarios but they are suppose to last 3x longer that normal strings and they cost £12 if you actually buy em, so i was willing to give them a go.

They have been on my guitar for 5 days now and they look splotless, still shining like new. The e,B,G,D still sound nice and sparkly. But the top 2 bass strings (E&A) Sounds very dull and have hardly any sustain whats so ever. They both look really clean no dulling of color ect. They sounds as if (and this is just a guess), kinda hard to explain but as if something is touching them thats causing them to stop vibrating quickly. I play alot of rythm guitar and im pretty hard on my top E and A string but ive never had any problems before.

Could it be that the strings are just duff/faulty. Or could there be something wrong with the saddle/nut of the guitar thats causing this (which would be strange because it only just started tonight)

Im going to stick new strings on it soon (don't have any atm, picking some up tomorrow)

Just wanted to know if any one had any ideas?

Much Appreciated guys!

Thanks!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm... hard to say.

Gotta take what salespeople say with a grain of salt. Stores do not usually give away "awesome" products for free.

If you have spent a lot of hours playing this week, and especially playing hard on the top two strings, maybe they are beat. Maybe they are not so good as that salesman claimed.

Are they the same gauge as the original strings that came on the guitar?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@soxzs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I believe so both 13-56.

I guess there is naught to do but shove the D'addarios on when they arrive and see how they hold up *fingers crossed its just the strings*

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

Ive been using the coated strings for a while on my 60s Newporter and they sound really really nce on that one but they are dull sounding on my Antoria accoustic which ios used more for strumming so I guess it is a try it and see thing .
My Neporter does have a very bright sound and that is probably a little bit more smoothed out now with these strings so maybe thats why it suits.

Im pretty sure its not that they are worn out as I am a very strong bender / vibrato user even with the heavier strings on my newporter and they have lasted well certainly better than anything previously on it as far as still being useable is concerned.

Probably just that as with some string brands the "flavour" takes a little getting used to and getting a really great guitar tone that YOU like takes a little experimenting woth strings.

I dont think that its a case of the shop giving away poor quality strings as an extra as they are decent top line strings and of course a £12.00 set of strings which cost them probably £6.00 is not really a high price to pay as a thankyou for purchasing a £1,400.00 guitar (or at least thats my local price of a genuine Dove) :)

Lovely guitar the Dove IMO by the way , presume you bought a new model , I once had a late 60s dove bought at the same time as my Newporter and its another of those purchases that I wished Id kept

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@soxzs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Paid £1500! Oh well.
Yes awesome guitar, and yea its a 2008 model, so should be nice to hear how it opens up over the years!

fyi - Stuck the Ej17's on it and nearly fainted!! The sound was magic!
So maybe it was a dodgy batch of strings or i might just be so accustomed to the Ej17's.

But everything is A Ok!

Let the good times roll!!

ReplyQuote