Notifications
Clear all

Strumming

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sonictherevenge)
Topic starter  

I just started about 1 week ago and I have learned the A, D, E doing ok with those has gotten a lot easier. I added the Em Am and Dm so far the Em, Am are simple the Dm is kinda a pain lol.
My question is when I practicing changing chords for example the A I strum 5 strings, the E all six and the D the first 4 But when I jet into strumming patterns like up,up,up, down, up or whatever am I strumming all the strings or just the ones with that chord I'm on. It just looks impossible to be strumming fast and picking only certain strings.

(@alangreen)

It may look impossible but you will need to work on not hitting all six strings.

Dm is a case in point - if you hit all six strings you're playing a D, E and F at the same time and it sounds pants.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@guitarforlife)

Just keep practicing, once you get it, you will forget it ever seemed hard.

My Blog
www.playing-the-guitar.net

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Sounds like you're making great progress for just one week, sonic. Congrats!

Don't worry, it's not like there's a new set of target strings with every chord you add. Not for the open position majors and minors anyways.

I'd suggest you add the open G chord next. It uses all 6 strings and you can alternate between it and the E or Em and learn to get a nice full strum going.

I found it helpful to get a good confident strumming arc going first and then refining from that.

All the best.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote