Clear all

Strumming, how do *you* do it?

19 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Vic said (Aside - so many people on this site will say "oh yeah!" to the mantra, "tone is in your fingers!" - yet they still use a pick..? Discuss.....)

One is because the pick is just an extention of the fingers and two the fretting hand plays just as big a part if not more. All the nuances of vibrato, bending is doen woh the fretting hand, the pick adds the dynamics. Granted using a pick vs no pick will change your tone.

But who knows that's my take.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@alittlelost)

I haven't been playing long and can't keep a pick in one place when I strum SO I said to heck the pick and I'm strumming with my thumb. One less frustration ... for now.

Brian

ReplyQuote
(@duke-of-prunes)

I haven't been playing long and can't keep a pick in one place when I strum SO I said to heck the pick and I'm strumming with my thumb. One less frustration ... for now.

Same thing here. Well, played for six months, then not at all for about a year and a half, just started again... I'm just used to using my fingers, there are currently other things I'm worried about when it comes to my guitar playing. Luckily enough, it seems that once you're able to play a song perfectly, it only takes a look at some tablature and you've got it again.

So yeah, I use my fingers.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Tone is in the fingers-

Well, I have ten fingers. My fretting hand has a lot to say about tone! :-)

(Or lack thereof, depending)

TOne is in how you use the pick, too.

To newbs who are saying they aren't using picks, though, "just" the thumb, I'd ask this question- Are you getting a full strum? (Moving the whole hand and wrist?) When I started, I seemed to move JUST the thumb, which gives you no volume, little control, and eventual thumb injuries.

Thumb, fingers, pick, finger picks, thumbpicks, or spare change- they ALL sound great if you use them right...learn to do it right!

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2