Notifications
Clear all

Strumming issues

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@vinniejip)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone! I have recently just started to learn rhythm guitar and I could need some help from here. How do I strum the "so-called" the second '5th fret' string and the fourth '7th fret' string together without hitting other strings? It sounds very distorted after I tried to strum a lot of times.. But I just figured out that i shouldn't strum the other strings but it still sounds weird to me from my side. Well here's a picture to show you guys the notes and also a youtube video to let you guys know what am I asking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYvdNmocZDw

Well I'm still currently having a stubborn mind learning those basic stuffs.. So please help me guys! Thanks!

/Vinnie

(@alangreen)

The index finger of your fretting hand needs to touch the 4th string to mute it whilst it's holding down the 5th string (what you refer to as the 5th fret second). Your ring finger then frets the 3rd string (what you call the 7th fret fourth).

Your pick hand movement should be all downstrokes, and your hand will move less than an inch each time so make the movement from the wrist, not the elbow. It's still not going to sound very exciting because you're playing parallel octaves all the time.

To be honest, you're starting at too high a level. You should begin by working on some basic chords and shuffle patterns.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vinniejip)
Topic starter  

The index finger of your fretting hand needs to touch the 4th string to mute it whilst it's holding down the 5th string (what you refer to as the 5th fret second). Your ring finger then frets the 3rd string (what you call the 7th fret fourth).

Your pick hand movement should be all downstrokes, and your hand will move less than an inch each time so make the movement from the wrist, not the elbow. It's still not going to sound very exciting because you're playing parallel octaves all the time.

To be honest, you're starting at too high a level. You should begin by working on some basic chords and shuffle patterns.

Ohh wow thanks for giving me the very important information! I have finally got it and the sound are way better. Well yeah you're right. I should start learning the basic fundamental first before going to the advance level. Well thank you for helping again! :D

/Vinnie

ReplyQuote