Clear all

strummingthe tunes?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Hols
(@hols)
Topic starter  

I've only just begun to play guitar and I'm still only learning the basic chords. Hpwever, I've started to try and learn some songs as I find this is the best way for me to learn new chords (I have a good memory).

Anyway. I was trying to learn my first song and fair enough it only had two chords but...hmmm... I couldn't seem to find the tune. I was playing a 'four-beat' i think it's called. And there we're notes above the paper. But I still don't understand.

What I'm trying to say is 'how do you get yourself in to a rhythm that sounds like what is meant to be played?' I know it won't come straight away and that it does take practise. But should you play the guitar to the words? I know how songs are written thanks to a close friend of mine, and I'm thinking it has something to do with the sylables (sp?) in the words?

I think this really needs clearing up for me to continue learning how to play the guitar.

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I'm thinking it has something to do with the sylables (sp?) in the words?

I can't say I've ever heard/noticed that before! :)

Two things to bear in mind when strumming are;

an upstrum and a downstrum sound different

depending on the song you are trying to play, there may be upstrums, downstrums, partial strums of the chords (i.e. not hiting all the strings all the time), palm muting and any number of other things.

What song are you trying to play? It might help if someone can write out the strumming pattern for you.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Hols:

Congratulations! It didn't take you long to come across one of the first frustrations a new student of guitar runs across - I came across it in 1981! I went to the store, bought some sheet music for guitar and when I got home, I noticed that the chord diagrams were shown above the sheet music. BUT, there was NO indication of how to strum the tune!

I have two ideas for you:

1. Go directly to the "beginners songs" section of this website. It is very well done. Not only are very simple songs explained very completely, the instructor also gives you the strumming pattern (with MP3 files to actually hear and play with). Can't recommend them too much - they are that good. My 10 year old son learned them all! I suggest you don't skip around the songs, since they start at the most basic and get progressively harder.
2. If you want to learn a song on your own, you will need to listen to the original (over and over) and attempt to copy it. It is very hard to do, at first, but is pretty good practice. Eventually, you will have to learn this skill if you ever want to learn songs by ear.

If I were you, I would work on the beginner songs first, which will make you better able to tackle songs on your own.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

and there's also headless hotdog, one of these patterns should fit

http://www.guitar.gg/strumming.html

and if you reply to the free lesson, you'll get a personal reply with some lesson links and NO spam followup :lol:

ReplyQuote