Clear all

Stuck

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@cjdave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all. I been trying to learn for a year or so. I've got were I can change cords pretty good. I know G C D E A A7 E7. And I can strum a few patterns but I just can't put anything to music. I'm just stuck practicing and I can't put it to a song. I must be missing something. I've been self taught I can't afford lessons I know that would help but I just can't afford it right now. Any help or advice would be great thanks.
David

(@shayman1)

Hi David
What I'd suggest is learning some very easy songs first. There are loads of songs that contain the chords you have learned already.
Here are a few suggestions:

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morisson
Take It easy - The Eagles
Time Of Your Life - Green Day
When You Say Nothing - Ronan Keating
Country Roads - John Denver

All use G, C, D, Em etc..

Start slowly with just 4 down strums per chord. If you like to sing then add the singing at this point. Look up a tutorial for the 'Rock Strum' pattern. It's basically down, down, up, up down up and fits just about any standard song. Use this pattern to then change your chord sequence. Hey Presto! a song emerges :)

Hope that helps
Shayman

http://www.guitartots.com Check out these specially developed lessons for the very young

ReplyQuote
(@cjdave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice. I will up some easy songs online and see what I can find. I should have mentioned I like gospel music I don't know if that makes a difference or not? Thank you
David

ReplyQuote
(@blake_sco)

Base your time spent with the guitar around your favorite songs by other artists. You will quickly begin to notice patterns that are tried and true and always sound great. Let your ears and brain soak in decades of material written by others so that you can let the sweat of their work teach you. This is how many of the greatest songwriters and guitar players of the past half century began. Plus it's fun.

Guitarist, Songwriter, Audio Engineer
https://soundcloud.com/blakegtr

Credits include Bellator, Lego and NewAlliance Bank

ReplyQuote