Clear all

stuck on 2 chords?

20 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ive been doing chords E and A for past two weeks now, is this abnormal? ive just been trying to get them down good before moving on to the D chord,you know, with getting the fingers used to it, get my picking and strumming down.

SLODOGG62

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Not abnormal at all, but go ahead and throw that D into your practice routine. You can handle it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I tend to obsess on certain things for weeks at a time myself, and at times it then feels like "Hey I've been doing this for x weeks and I still am not doing it well" and it gets frustrating that's when it's time to move to something else for a while and come back to it.

That seems to work best for me, I have never gotten anything down 100% before moving on but magically when you come back to those things they suddenly click.

Kinda of like the law of diminishing returns.

Once you have 80 - 90% move on to something else, the montony of just repeating the same thing over and over loses it's value at some point.

That's my own opinion.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I tend to obsess on certain things for weeks at a time myself, and at times it then feels like "Hey I've been doing this for x weeks and I still am not doing it well" and it gets frustrating that's when it's time to move to something else for a while and come back to it.

That seems to work best for me, I have never gotten anything down 100% before moving on but magically when you come back to those things they suddenly click.

Kinda of like the law of diminishing returns.

Once you have 80 - 90% move on to something else, the montony of just repeating the same thing over and over loses it's value at some point.

That's my own opinion.

Thanks alot !!

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Not abnormal at all, but go ahead and throw that D into your practice routine. You can handle it.
Thanks alot !!

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You'll gonna need those two chords for the rest of your musical life, so you better make sure you got them down well. There's not rush, only add more to your plate if you're getting bored or frustrated.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Toss in Em as well!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Just so you understand me. I don't mean to imply that they weren't important or it's OK to stop if you don't have them down, but sometimes you need to take a little break, like Muse said move to Em or two other chords work on those for awhile then go back to E and A.

When you continue to work on things for a long time you tend to get bored and not focus as much so the improvement gets slowere and slower, taking a break will help refresh you. Come back to them in another week or so and I bet you see some improvement, but like Sleu mentioned they will be important to learn, just make it enjoyable.

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

there are many here with infinitely more experience than myself, however, when I first started to play (1 1/2 years ago) I simply told myself this is not like riding a bike. That it will most likely be difficult and slow going. I wasn't disappointed. The first 6 months were pretty hard and without a teacher perhaps harder than it had to be. I couldn't switch chords very well at all for the first couple of months. Wasn't until i started playing with some friends that I loosened up a bit. They had a real cool way of playing...just play. Use what you know and make something from it.

I never really limited myself, just tried everything. I learned the major open chords (placement of the fingers anyway) and just played and played. Practiced different strumming patterns on each chords and then tried to switch. I still sometimes screw up C 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

ive been doing chords E and A for past two weeks now, is this abnormal? ive just been trying to get them down good before moving on to the D chord,you know, with getting the fingers used to it, get my picking and strumming down.

are you doing the two chords through your own free will or is a mentor drilling it into you?

while your doing the E and A you might wanna do Am too....sure you know but its the E shape fingering dropped down one string basically...so you already know 3 chords :lol: .......

also just for fun....strum your E chord and move it one fret up....instant spanish guitar :roll: :lol: :lol:

oh and i like the sound of your dedication...top marks!........

ps....all previous answers are good....have fun whatever you do 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

[)

are you doing the two chords through your own free will or is a mentor drilling it into you?

Yeah,its called the Guitar for Dummies book ! LOL.. :lol:

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

When I joined this forum I was a beginner and asked the same type of questions for a couple years, the answer invariably will be practice and you'll get. At the time I always felt there has to be more than that, I must be doing something wrong, why is it taking me so long.

But the reality is, it's just about putting the time in for the most part, part of paying your dues. I'm sure in some cases bad techniques may hold you back but for the most part it's all about practice, practice, practice...you will get there and one day out of the blue you'll play those chords flawlessly and never look back.

Don't stress over it and you'll be fine!

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

you mean......THE BIBLE :lol:

go for the D.....its easier than the A......'Kumbaya' awaits :wink:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

When I joined this forum I was a beginner and asked the same type of questions for a couple years, the answer invariably will be practice and you'll get. At the time I always felt there has to be more than that, I must be doing something wrong, why is it taking me so long.

But the reality is, it's just about putting the time in for the most part, part of paying your dues. I'm sure in some cases bad techniques may hold you back but for the most part it's all about practice, practice, practice...you will get there and one day out of the blue you'll play those chords flawlessly and never look back.

Don't stress over it and you'll be fine!

Thanks alot, I guess i ljust 'press on' as they say ! LOL

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

you mean......THE BIBLE :lol:

go for the D.....its easier than the A......'Kumbaya' awaits :wink:

Thanks !!!

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2