Suggestions for self recordings?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@riverwolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello all and thanks in advance for all answers
I have picked up alot of good learning advice on this forum! One idea was to make regular recordings of ones self as a guage of progress. I have been doing that on a random basis. Today I recorded a 10 min version of "Heart of Gold". While I am happy with my smoother chord changes and the intro and stuff, the actual recording sucks! Just using a newer 17 inch HP laptop running Win7 and using the built in recorder and onboard speakers. I am already in process of upgrading to nice external speakers for other reasons. My real question is how else, cheaply, to improve the imput? External microphone? Maybe thru a usb cable?
I remember back in the 80's, I would use a boom box and cassette tape! LOL!

(@alangreen)

An audio interface is your best option. You can then plug in a mic or DI your electric.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

external mic and mixer is probably the best option. it may go through your usb port. mine does. i got cheap ones, and it's not too bad.

ReplyQuote
(@riverwolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, so far.
How about some pics or better yet some links to this stuff?
My electric is my main guitar mainly because it is so much easier to play.
But I recently got a little martin LXME, and that is the one I want to record the most.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

shure sm 57 and 58 are the standard instrumental and vocal mics, respectively, but not the only options. you might also consider a condenser mic if it's for a home studio and not gonna get moved around.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Don't forget Condenser mics need phantom power to work, so make sure your recording kit can supply it

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote