Clear all

swing eighth triplets

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I came across swing eighth triplets in my exercise book and it sounds like the first note of each beat is held a bit (only a bit) longer than the second two. Is this right?

And in regular swing eighths (two notes per beat) is there a proper amount that the first note should be held in relation to the second note... Should it be held twice as long, or only a bit longer? Or is the player free to determine this? Thanks.

(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi patrick

swing is the usual blues rhythm. You could say that to "swing", you should play the first and the thrid note in a triplet (skipping the second note), or if you prefer that the first strum lasts roughly twice as long as the second one.

If I can give you a small trick: when you play a downstrum do not immediately raise your hand as you would do with straight eight notes but play a small circle with your hand under the strings and then play the upstroke. The time you need to play the small circle gives you the delay you need to play the shuffle.

Listen to a few blues records to understand the rhythtm and try to play it with the suggested trick: I can assure you that it works

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think most blues is played on the downstroke. Playing a shuffle :
|-----------------|
|-----------------|
|-----------------|
|-----------------|
|-5-5-7-7-5-5-7-7-|
|-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-|

just doesn't sound right if you play up-strokes (to me anyway). The "missing" middle note of the triplet is the upstroke that doesn't touch the strings.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

I think most blues is played on the downstroke. Playing a shuffle :
|-----------------|
|-----------------|
|-----------------|
|-----------------|
|-5-5-7-7-5-5-7-7-|
|-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-|

just doesn't sound right if you play up-strokes (to me anyway). The "missing" middle note of the triplet is the upstroke that doesn't touch the strings.

Hi greybeard

if the blues is played with power chords, it is all downstrokes as you've correctly said, but if you play it with full chords you could alternate downstrokes and upstrokes: at least so it says my guitar book :-)!!

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Matteo & Greybeard, thanks. That little trick about making a circle...never thought of that. Up to now I would just briefly pause at the bottom of the downstroke.

But it sounds like both of you are describing regular swing eights (two notes per beat, the first held longer than the second)...which is no problem. This example is three actual (played) notes per beat, and it says to 'swing the eigths'. I believe it's the first time I've come across this - an actual triplet played in swing feel.

Listening to the CD, it sounds like a regular triplet (three played notes per beat), except the first note per beat is held a bit longer than the next two notes per beat.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Look at this post and follow to The Little Brother Video lessons site for a good blues shuffle primer.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
 seed
(@seed)
Eminent Member

Hey Patrick, I will try not to repeat too much of what is said above, but I was just wondering if your practice book has an accompanying CD or tape or something. if so, my suggestion would be to listen to the example and count the beat (usually in a 1-&-a) fashion for triplet feel). just listen and count, then when you play your count will be the clue as to when you play. I think, and this is just me, that tabs and guitar "short cuts", leave out the most vital information, that is to listen and count. When all else fails try to break things down to the most simplest form, listening and counting. Also before tackeling cords, break the chord down and just practice the pattern on a root note. then expand as you get comfortable with the rythym. These are just somthings I do when I get stuck, especially on tricky rythyms. For the blues and stuff, the strum, think of it as your canvas, practice your technique wether it is all down strokes or alternating. I got by on blues tunes with alternating and it can be done. Good luck man, as always provide some feedback regarding the advise. later!

"What's the point of callin' shots;
This cue ain't straight in line.
Cue ball's made of styrofoam
And no one's got the time." (Garcia/Hunter)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Listening to the CD, it sounds like a regular triplet (three played notes per beat), except the first note per beat is held a bit longer than the next two notes per beat.

That is the standard swing feel . . .basically the first eigth note is played like the first two eights of a triplet, and the last eight as the last eigth of the triplet.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If I understand this, the way to get this shuffle would be to count in a 16th note fashion.

1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a
/.. / / /.. / / /.. / / /.. / /
d d u d d u d d u d d u

This definitely has a jazz feel more than blues. You often hear jazz drummers play this rhythm on the high-hat.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote