Clear all

switching from strumming to playing notes

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rhcpfan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I am trying to learn wolfmother's woman but I am having trouble to flued switching from the strummming to playing the notes:

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---9-9-9-9-9----------9-9-9-9-9----------9-9-9-9-9-------------------------|
D|---9-9-9-9-9----------9-9-9-9-9----------9-9-9-9-9------------7--5---------|
A|---7-7-7-7-7-------5--7-7-7-7-7-------5--7-7-7-7-7-------5----7--5---------|x2
E|---------------5h7----------------5h7----------------5h7------5--3---------|

I hope you know what I mean. Thanks.

(@matteo)
Honorable Member

I know it mate :-)!

When you start play guitar you usually strum all the five or six strings (at the begining it is also quite difficult not to strum the sixth string when you play an open C chord!), so it is very difficult to pick up single notes. I guess that the key to play individual notes is to change the hand position: instead of playing big strums just over the hole of the guitar, keep your right hand close to the bridge and play very short movement. An excellent exercize is to to play a lot of power chords (hitting just two strings): this way you'd develop the required strumming precision.

I have noticed that since I've started to play heavy metal excercises (check Troy Stetina's books for a reference), I've bettered a lot my playing (cleaner, faster etc.)

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

When I started playing guitar, I thought I would never be able to move my fingers fast enough to make music. The bottom line is that the more you do it, the easier it becomes. It's VERY slow at first, but keep at it. If you are having trouble with a specific change on your fret hand, practice it a bunch of times without strumming. If you are having trouble with a picking pattern, practice it a bunch of times without moving your fretting hand and just mute the strings. I do this a sometimes. It seems to help my hands get used to working independently.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@rhcpfan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you guys for the reply's. Are there some exercises for finger independency?

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Read this thread it has some good ones.
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=33185

Robbie

ReplyQuote