Switching strings with the same finger

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 HRMM
(@hrmm)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

I was curious as to how you guys go about moving from string to string using the same finger. What I mean by this is something like

e--------------------------
b--------------------------
g----0-2-3p2p0-2--------
d--2-----------------2----
a--------------------------
e--------------------------

where you would have to use the same finger to play those last two notes. Also, finger vibrato is applied to that last e note (2nd fret d string). I understand that it's fairly common to just bar the g and d strings but that would make the vibrato difficult to apply. The other (obvious) option is to use the tip of your finger and simply jump from string to string, but I find this tricky at high speed to perform cleanly. This isn't a particularly hard lick and most guitarists at my skill level can play this at speed so I know I'm doing something wrong. Any advice? Thanks in advance guys.

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

try to barre it and then when its on to the last note just pull your finger up so youre just using your fingertip. Thats how i might do it.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member

Try using a pull off? Helps me in the mission impossible tabs.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Hey, are you doing something else with your other fingers that you have to use your can only use your first and second fingers? You could try playing the riff by leaving your first finger on the E note (d string second fret) and using your second and third fingers on the G string. (Or using the second finger on the d string and the ring and pinky on the g which ever you find easier.) This way you don't have to worry about a barre leading into a vibrato.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@stock28)
Estimable Member

I'm with Izabella. Bar it and then just roll your finger up to fret the lasst note and use vibrato.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

What I do is like, on the first note I'ed push down on the fret with my finger, then play the second open, and from the same position on D, flatten my finger down over 2, hit 3 with my middle finger and so on.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote