Notifications
Clear all

TAB

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jauson)
Topic starter  

I'm not sure whether I'm going to get a simple answer to this not.
Here's the problem, I found out how to read TAB but I have one problem when reading it.
Here's an example.

e|--3----------------------------1-|
B|------2--------------------------|
G|-------------3-------------------|
D|-------------------------5-------|
A|--0----------------------------0-|
E|----------------------------------|

The first note is fret 3 string e and open on string A, both at the same time, but not the strings in between, how's this done?
I know there's probably simple answer, but I couldn't think of any ways other than to mute the strings in between which seems a bit awkward.
Thanks in advance

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You don't do it by strumming across the strings with a pick. You do it by separately picking them. If you're using a flat pick, you need to "hybrid pick" and use your middle or ring finger to pick the other string(s). Or you might be fingerpicking and using your thumb and other fingers to pick the different strings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Yeh, it's fun to do. You "pinch" the two strings.
With the thumb you'll simultaneously pinch the open A string and
with your ring finger the e string
then use your middle finger to pick the B string and index finger to pick the G string.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jauson)
Topic starter  

I've been playing with a plectrum so far, I didn't think there was much need for finger picking, think I'll practice this technique now though, thanks. Just out of interest, is there any advantages of playing these sort of notes with just fingers and thumb? I tend to find finger picking a very awkward technique to get into.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Fingerpicking's a very versatile and useful way of playing. As you've just discovered, some things are hard to do with a plectrum alone. Some things, like tremolo picking, are easier to do with a plectrum. It's good to know how to do both. Most plectrum players learn to do "hybrid picking," mixing fingerpicking in with it. And fingerpickers like me who use finger and thumb picks sometimes grab that thumbpick between index finger and thumb and use it like a flatpick. Whatever's handy at the time.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Just out of interest, is there any advantages of playing these sort of notes with just fingers and thumb? I tend to find finger picking a very awkward technique to get into.

You'll find out as a beginner one of the easiest things to do that makes a simple song sound more complex and impressive is an arpeggio (at least I impress myself when I play it)
arpeggio = a fancy and cool sounding term meaning the individual notes in a chord are played.
(To pronounce the word properly you have to kiss the tips of your fingers and then flick them outwards from your lips - Italian style)

And a good technique is to play certain strings with certain fingers. Thumb for the three thickest strings, index for the G string, middle finger for the B and ring finger for the e string (pinky not used).

You should check out the Beginner Songs that David Hodges has in the Lessons section. He goes over all of this very clearly and you learn a song as you practice the technique.
I was reluctant to "finger pick". I didn't think I would like it. I was very happy and comfortable with my plastic pic.
But now I love it. You have a closer physical connection to the guitar when you're plucking the strings.
Live dangerously, go for it.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote