Clear all

tablature question

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay so I have a question about a song I'm trying to learn through a tab.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/black_sabbath/iron_man_tab.htm

I have the whole song figured out until the *lead* part comes. If you look at the second bar down it says 7h9 9p7 on the A string. Then the next thing you're supposed to play is 9h on the low E string. Now this doesn't make sense to me because how can you hammer on to another fret on a DIFFERENT string. You almost always see a something like 0h9 or 4h8...you have to play a string first. Then the other thing I can't figure out is on the third bar the same sort of thing happens except this time its /9 . How do you slide onto a different string?

Thanks.

(@stengah)
Trusted Member

On the slide part you were talking about ( /9 ) They just kinda slide out of nowhere. It dosen't start on any particular fret, just listen to the song and start try to get as close as you can by ear. As long as you end up on the 9th fret. The 9h one might have been a typo, but you can just hammer onto a note without picking another one first. It dosen't really make sense to not pick it though.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

It could just be a hammer on, I'm not familiar with playing the song so maybe someone else could help with that.

But a slide /9 is usually sliding up to the ninth fret, where you start somewhere on the lower frets on the same string and than slide up.

Edit: beaten to it.. I am slow, far too slow.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If your fingers are moving quick enough, the hammered note will sound on the E string (that's the whole idea behind tapping techniques).

But it really won't sound much different from picking the note. And if you're trying to get a faithful rendition of the song with distortion, nobody will hear the difference.

My guess is that's the way the tabber plays it - you don't have to use the same technique.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

There's a section of the solo in The Darkness's I believe in a thing called love that goes like this (or similar, I can't remember offhand which fret it starts on :wink:) :
-9------9---------------------
---12-9---12-9--------------9-
---------------11-9-11-9----9-
-------------------------11---
------------------------------
------------------------------
a b c d e f g h i j k l

...I only pick 4 of the notes, the ones labelled a, d, g and l - the rest are hammered or pulled. (Sometimes the one labelled i as well, if I'm not paying attention.) As Noteboat says, the hammers onto a non-sounding string will still sound, just as a tap does. It sounds much more fluid when I play it that way than when I pick all the notes. A good amount of distortion will even out the differences nicely, but it'll work with a clean sound too.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the replies. That all makes a lot of sense to me. Now to go learn that solo!!

ReplyQuote