Clear all

TABS Reading

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@abufaisal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I thought I knew how to read tabs, until I stumbled on a tab that has letters together with the fret numbers, such as the example below. What does those letters represents, like 13b or rb13p11???!?!??!

Please can someone explain. Thanks

I----11-13--13b(15)-repeat-several times-13-11-13-13b(15)rb13p11--------11------------------I
I-13-------------------------------------------------------------13-13~----13---------------I
I-----------------------------------------------------------------------------10-8----10----I
I----------------------------------------------------------------------------------10----10-I
I-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I
I-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a shot.

13b(15)

fret at the 13th, pick the note, then bend the string so it sounds like you're fretting the 15th . Since this is on the 1st string, you would play an F then bend up to a G.

13b(15)rb13p11

Ok, this is trickier
Fret and pick the 13th fret (F), bend up to G like before, release bend (or un-bend) back down to F , then pull-off to the 11th fret (D# or Eb whichever name you prefer)

I'll let someone else explain the nuances of using those techniques, since I haven't mastered them yet.

And if I've totally screwed this up, I hope someone will let me know.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@abufaisal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

damn, maybe I shouldnt have asked!!!!! :) thanks

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

You nailed it Kent_eh :)

And abufaisal - bending, hammering ons, and pull offs are very useful som it can be a good idea just start practicing.

Bending - fret a note (say on the 14th fret) and bend it so the pitch increases. Try first ta make it a seminote (one fret) higher. Later on try make it one whole note (two frets)

xxx14(16)12x

is one way - try to make the 2nd and third string sound the same.

this one too

xxxx15(17)12

Bend the second string "upwards" - it can be a good idea to support the fretting finger (here r) with another finger to get more power - push the string with the middle finger as well.

Pulling off - fret say, the fourth fret with your r finger, at the same time fret the second fret with your index finger (on the same string. Now - pull off the ring finger so that you get the sound from the string being fretted at secind fret

Hammering on - opposite. Fret the second fret with your index finger - slam down another finger higher up on the same string (without picking the string obviously)

Perhaps you knew allready - but that's a very crude explanation anyway - I certain someone can add and refine it.

Good luck

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote