Clear all

taking lessons!

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I took about 4 lessons when I started off on guitar from a friend - but then he moved.

Now taking from a guy at my church - and had my first one last night. It was pretty good. He asked me what I'd play if I walked into a guitar store - so I started playing a blues lick. He then based just about everything off of that.

Showed me some different fingerings for basic chords to allow for easier transitions, a few different scale modes, and a few licks to work on that incorporated all of these.

Also gave me some finger exercises to work on will help with finger dexterity and working on major scales.

I think that this will be boost I needed to continue improving. Now if I could only play in front of people without getting nervous and screwing up...

(@blueline)
Noble Member

... Now if I could only play in front of people without getting nervous and screwing up...
That will pass with time and (obviously) as you become more experienced. I always try to remember that mostly anyone listening to me play, does not know how to play themselves. SO, they can really tell when I make a mistake!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Showed me some different fingerings for basic chords to allow for easier transitions, a few different scale modes, and a few licks to work on that incorporated all of these.

Also gave me some finger exercises to work on will help with finger dexterity and working on major scales.

If I try to go too fast I screw up. I hit the wrong string, mute it, or twang or buzz it. If I slow down and concentrate I'm good to go. I'm too new to go fast.
Now if I could only play in front of people without getting nervous and screwing up...

I used to flub big time in front of my teacher. I'd tell him "I really do know how to do this, and I do it fine at home". He'd laugh and say it happens to everyone.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@robbieboy)
Eminent Member

I muck things up in front of my tutor too- after playing them just fine earlier in the day!! Makes me wonder if I will ever be able to play in front of friends and family without going to water... :?

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

The flubbing up in front of the teacher is very common...well it better be cuz I still do it after 2 yrs with my teaccher. But I think playing in front of others is easier.

The other people really want you to be good and to entertain them, your teacher is looking and listening with a whole different slant on what he wants to get out of it. He IS looking for mistakes others are not.

I've been learning a Gun's N Roses song that the rhythm guitar just does a bunch of arpeggio's throughout while Slash plays lead throughout. I worked on the rhythm part and had it down. Got to my lesson on Saturday and I thought he was going to ask me to play the lead (which I had worked on too) but instead he had me play the rhythm and for some reason I wasn't expecting that and I messed up several times. When that happens I have to run home, whip the guitar out and play that passage again to make sure all of a sudden I didn't lose what ability I had. So far everytime I've been able to play it fine at home.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Sure sign of a new player......You start to play something and somewhere along the way you mess up and say.."Wait!" Then try again. I know! I've done it a hundred times! The more experienced player will just shake his head and just go to the next chord. Most people don't even notice when you mess up. (unless its a horrible melt down)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@tmarius)
Trusted Member

He asked me what I'd play if I walked into a guitar store - so I started playing a blues lick. He then based just about everything off of that.

Interesting teaching technique, i've never heard that one before!
Hope you're having fun.

Tom

ReplyQuote