Clear all

Taking my first class

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@viper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for about 6 months, and after pestering my parents, I've got myself a couple of appointments with a private tutor. I know a basic theory pretty well since in those six months I've pretty much been reading up on music when I didn't have a guitar in my hands. What can I expect my first class to be like? What questions will be asked? How do I prepare?

Ibanez RG3EXFM1

(@raistx)
Trusted Member

Hi Viper,

I'm not sure if there is much you can do to prepare.

My first lesson was about 4 months ago. Basically the whole lesson was spent discussing and showing what I had already learnt and talking about what I wanted to achieve.

It will probably take a few lessons to see if you like his teaching methods/personality, if not find another teacher.

Good luck,

Marty.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It's basically a Meet and Greet. He'll probably ask you where you are in your learning, maybe ask you to play a few things, discuss your goals and discuss his methodology.

The first lessons I've found (I've had more than one teacher) weren't that different for all the teachers and you really don't get an idea whether or not you click with a teacher until you've had several lessons.

The best thing is to be open and communicate what you are expecting.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Like others said, you'll not learn a lot of things for the first class

It's about presentation of you and your teacher, what kind of music you like, what you want to learn, and play a little something to show him how you can play.

And don't judge your teacher from the first class. I got 2 teachers. The first one was really nice, funny, but he was more a great guitarist than a great teacher.. He quit 2 months later, touring with his band, and I got a new teacher that seems not so nice and after the 2 first class, I was considering to stop taking lessons because of that...

But after like 5 classes, it changed and finally, he was nice too and he learned me much more than the other! I'm still taking lesson with him.

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@viper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips guys.
What's a good way I can put a good impression on my teacher? Should I bring my guitar to class?

Ibanez RG3EXFM1

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Absolutely bring your guitar

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

What's a good way I can put a good impression on my teacher? Should I bring my guitar to class?

Yes bring your guitar, because your teacher will ask you to play to show him your level of skills (if you told him you already played at home before taking lesson)

To make "good impression", I think that's not really difficult...

You just have to know what you want to do with that guitar... What you want to learn, and let him know clearly so he can prepare for the upcoming classes.

I don't know how long is your lesson, but if it's a one hour lesson, it could be good to bring the tabs of a song you want to play. After talking about who you are, who's your teacher, what are your goals, what you want to learn, play something, discuss about your "bad habit" in your play (if you have some), you'll have about 20 minutes to go

If you have a tab, you could start to look at that song, and ask your teacher some question about the difficulty you have, etc.

And another tips, not necessary for the 1st class. Try to be organised. I mean, your teacher will give you many sheet of music and theory and if you don't bring them back the next week, he'll have to recopy all the things you need for the class.

I use a binder to put all the stuff my teacher gives me and that make a good impression (that was not the main goal, but he told me I'm the only one who's organised like this and he appreciate, it makes it easier for him and for me)

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Personally I wouldn't bring anything more than your guitar and maybe a list of songs you want to learn, but even then most all you woul dneed is to just tell him the type of music you are interested in.

I would not bring tab to the lesson. Most if not all teachers aren't going to use it and have no use for it. Or they are going to have their own way of teaching the material.

The first lesson is mostly about just getting to know each other, what you expect to learn, how thwe teacher is going to instruct etc.

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member

It's a guitar lesson...always have your guitar! :)

For the first lesson, the best thing you can do is be polite, honest and respectful. Ask questions, and don't be afraid to admit it if you don't understand the first time.

But, the best way to make a good impression is at the 2nd lesson. Show up organized, and prepared with what you were assigned from the 1st lesson, plus any questions that came up. That's the best impression...a student that puts in the effort, and is excited about expanding.

Actually, I'm starting lessons after the holidays myself. After about 9 months, I finally found someone who had an opening that fit my schedule. Now if I can only listen to my own advice! :mrgreen:

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@viper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I use a binder to put all the stuff my teacher gives me and that make a good impression (that was not the main goal, but he told me I'm the only one who's organised like this and he appreciate, it makes it easier for him and for me)
I used a binder to teach myself usic theory. Getting a little bit heavy.

Ibanez RG3EXFM1

ReplyQuote
(@dingster1)

If you have an Ipod with the type of music you want to learn, bring that. GOod suggestion on the binder. My teacher writes my assignments in mine for the following week

ReplyQuote