Clear all

Teaching kids

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

My 6yr old step daughter wants to learn the guitar. So this weekend we are going out to find a 1/2 size, or 3/4 size guitar.

My problem is that I've got zero idea on how to go about teaching a kid.

Should I go a few chords first so she can start to play one of her favorite songs and build from there?

Should I teach her what string is which and teach simple melodies on one/two strings?

I'm going to print out some stuff that's like the Mel Bay books, but any help from here would be great.

Thanks!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

At six I start with single notes - Mel Bay has a book called the "Primer" that has only single note melodies. I don't care for the fact that it teaches the 1st string A before getting to the second string, but other than that the sequence is pretty good - and kids that age tend to take to reading music in standard notation pretty well. After she's done with that book you can start the regular Mel Bay book 1 from about page 20 or so. I also use a lot of mnemonics, like "elephants and donkeys grow big ears" to remember stuff like string names.

Another book method worth mentioning is Hal Leonard, which has mostly single string stuff. I prefer Mel Bay, as it presents flats sooner, but that's just my preference; I know plenty of good teachers who like that method for kids.

Chords are a little trickier, because the fine motor skills of six year olds varies quite a bit. I try teaching Em first, because it sounds good, and follow that with either Am - you can get a nice sounding change - or D6/9 (200200)... you can add a couple more fingerings and use David's Horse with No Name lesson, or you can just take the two chord pair and start getting into strumming techniques (which is what I usually do). Oh, and when I explain and demonstrate the chord change to D6/9 I describe it as "make your fingers do jumping jacks" - having them go up together and come down together. Anything that draws an association between technique and other things they do in daily life, even gym, will help!

For kids who are challenged by the motor skills, you can start with three string chords G (xxx003), G7 (xxx001) and C (xxx010). Alfred's has a Kid's Guitar method that runs along those lines, and also presents single note reading... I don't use it very much, but some people like it.

For kids who are REALLY challenged in motor skills and not ready to read yet (I've had some four year old students) I tune their guitar to an open G and we start with just right hand rhythms. If that gets old, bring out a slide!

Other really good approaches for the very young: open power chords E5, A5, and D5. You can get into blues and rock song structure and have short little jams. I also like to give them finger drills, like switching between a first finger note and a second finger note on the same string... you can do that anywhere on the fretboard, and introduce alternate picking pretty easily; it also helps with coordination.

The biggest challenge with the young student (heck, with any student) is striking the right balance between the discipline of getting a technique right and having fun. Watch her attention span carefully, be ready to switch gears to other ideas, and remember to keep it fun. If her fingers get sore, switch to something where she doesn't have to play for a few minutes - I sometimes do ear training drills, playing major and minor chords with my back to the student, having them guess what the sound is... once they get good at it, add some dominant 7ths. Music is a language, and kids can soak up ear training as well as the written stuff.

Two other tips: encourage her to practice often in short sessions, and get her a guitar stand - if she sees the guitar frequently, she's more likely to play it frequently.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I teach as young as six. A popular series of books in the UK is The Guitarist's Way, by Peter Nuttall and John Whitworth. Available online and I'll let you have ISBNs if you need them.

Book 1 covers 3rd string G to 1st string G and the open bass strings - all in single line melody. Book 2 fills in the gaps in the notes, covers sharps and flats and introduces playing two notes together. Book 3 has key signatures and slurs, and Book 4 explores dance rhythms.

The Iceland Guitar School - http://www.classicalguitarschool.net/en/Download.aspx?id=1004 - has shedloads of free downloads of uncomplicated music. Fill yer boots.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Good advice all around!

Thank you so much everyone!

She has the attention span of a gnat so I'll be sure to watch out for stuff like that. Also the guitar will be seeing with mine so it'll be visible and out every day for her to stare at!

My goal is to get her able to play one song by mid-June so when we go to visit my in-laws she can show off

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

the attention span is a big issue. Ive worked with my 6, and my 10 year old... you slip over the edge of boardom and its game over!!! Keep it short, and fun. Id also recomend skipping the 1/2 size, and going to the 3/4 size. the 1/2 is realy too small for a growing 6 year old,. At least it proved that way with my girls.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I'm thinking the 3/4 size will be good. I think the full size is really going to be too big for her, and the 1/2 size will be too small in a year or so.

Thanks!!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

On average, I find a 3/4 size lasts a kid until they're about 11.

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Awesome. Good to know

I'm wondering if I should get a travel guitar (been looking for myself) and just share it with her lol.

The Luna travel guitars have a design that would be attractive to her and sound pretty good

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

A number of my students (ages range from six to sixty) own Luna guitars and they seem to be great in terms of playability and construction. Hadn't thought of them as potential travel guitars but they'd certainly exceed most people's expectations for one.

And you're right about the design encouraging playing. Even the plainest Lunas seem to want you to pick it up and play.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Yeah, I'm thinking the 3/4 size will be good. I think the full size is really going to be too big for her, and the 1/2 size will be too small in a year or so.

Thanks!!

Ya. I have a old 1/2 size, and the thing is a toy to my 6 year old. Granted she can pick up and [try] to play my full size Resonator... I {santa :)] picked up a 3/4 size mini strat for my oldest... now almost 11, and its really the perfect size for her, and my 6 year old can hold it, and play it fine also. Heck... I can even play the thing. takes a few min to adjust to the shorter, narrower fretboard... but thats it

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well we got a Luna 3/4 size guitar used for about $110. Looks like it had never been played.

We got it home and I taught her the parts of the guitar, the strings, and such. The hardest part so far is to get her to just listen and not interrupt. That's even before fretting her first note.

When we got to the part about fretting the high E string on the first fret, it just sounds dead. I took it and it rang out fine. The problem is that she's unable to push the string down without a ton of pain. She literally starts to cry when trying to fret the note. I have no idea how to rectify this.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

This may not work, but try using a capo at the third, fourth or fifth fret and see if she can handle fretting a note there.

If that doesn't work, see if she can fret the second fret of the G string (A). A number of kid's books start out the single notes on the G and D strings as, being a little thicker, may be easier to fret.

Hope this helps. It may just be that she needs to develop her finger strength. Hang in there - she will with time.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

I'm watching this thread with great interest. My 7 year old daughter hit me with wanting me to teach her to play just last night. I've bought the Mel Bay Primer book already, and I'm looking hard at 3/4 size Lunas. I already have a few full-size dreadnaughts, but they dwarf her. I think she'll need the smaller-bodied axe to have any chance.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Joe - downtune to D standard (D, G, C, F, A, D) and shove a capo on the 2nd fret. She'll sound the same as you but the tension won't be such a problem.

I did this with a couple of my 7 and 8 year old students whose parents sent them in with full size steel string guitars and wouldn't listen, starting with C Standard tuning and a capo on 4.

Start with open strings, then 3rd string A, then 2nd string C and so on. Keep us posted.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

David, Alan.....you are friggen geniuses. GENIUSES I TELL YA!!!

I put a capo on the first fret and she did it with no problem. I'm thinking tuning it down a step and putting it on the 2nd fret will be easier, like you said.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote