Clear all

Teaching my girlfriend

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@total-13)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing guitar for a number of years now and my girlfriend has decided she wants me to teach her what I know (i'm no maestro but I know my basics and it could be a laugh) and she is in need of a first guitar.

The question is, what would be the best guitar I could get for her which is £200 and under?

she would most likely be playing indie and rock music as thats what she is into stuff like nickleback, bon jovi etc but also the occasional heavier song not metal or anything like that though.

is this any good and is the price any good?

theres so much to choose from!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-GRG170DX-Electric-RG-Series-Guitar-in-Black-NEW_W0QQitemZ7416133514QQcategoryZ33043QQcmdZViewItem

my problem is I would take her to a guitar shop so she can have a mess but she doesn't know what shes feeling for as she can't play yet and it's also a surprise for her.

any help appreciated!

Epiphone LP Standard trn blue ltd edition
fender squire strat (heavily modified and re painted with WOA festival logo)
Trace Elliot Super Tramp Valve 100 Combo
digtech RP3.

(@Anonymous)

First off, this guy is not so good a seller, check out http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10896 for a better deal on that guitar, not a huge saving but a saving none the less.

You might also wanna look at http://www.musicgearreview.com/review-display/11015.html and
http://www.musicgearreview.com/review-display/11570.html for reviews of it.

It seems a pretty good guitar to me, but the real problem is the feel. You can have what looks like the perfect guitar, but if it doesn't feel right, then it's gonna affect you. So if you can get her to a shop to have a play; just 'cos she isn't a proficient guitarist yet doesn't mean she can't look and try out some of the guitars on offer, just sit with it and strum open if needs be.

It'd make a nice suprise I'm sure, but an even better gift would be to help her find a guitar that she'll treasure :)

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

RGs have skinny necks, might be good for smaller hands.

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah ideally I would like her to find one she gets a feel for btu a slim neck would be ideal as she has small hands and struggles with a full size acoustic when i tried to teach her some stuff on one of my acoustics.

I'll let her have a go on a couple of mine to see which she feels the best with and try to find something similar methinks as I have a strat, a les paul and a randy rhodes.

she seemed keen on a daisy rock but i refuse to buy her one as they are tacky as hell! ugly ugly things.

digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

I have always felt it is better to start with an acoustic then move toward an electric. Builds finger strentgh quicker and focus for beginners tend to be more toward campfire chords etc. No amp worries and can be played anywhere.

I think Yamaha's ar a good fair priced option and the necks tend to be "thinner". I practiced on an old "classical" style (wide neck) when I first started and strill have it to this day--and it still kills my hand when I play it.

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

damnit, that site made me want to add to my collection!

kinda like classic mockingird...damnit if only i wasn't poor!

digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I once tried to teach my girl friend (soon to be wife) how to drive a stick shift car. I told her all the basics of how to do it. We then got in my brand new car with her in the drivers seat. We made it about 100 meters before I screamed stop the car and got out. I then told her that she new the basics, go teach yourself and I walked home. I never tried to teach her anything again, I just pay for lessons. We've been married 30 years. :wink:

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

Even if she can't play anything she can still get a feel for the guitar IMO. Take her to the shop, let her look around, hold the instruments, strum them (you could probably teach her open chords on the spot, certainly two finger ones like Em or Am7) and pick the strings to get an idea of the sound. And you can play them as well, so that she can get to just listen to the sound, and also because you might be a better judge of quality.

As for Daisy Rock, I've never actually seen one for real, but some of them look quite cool. I'd love to try a Rock Candy or Retro-H.

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Tim,

You beat me to that one except it was teaching my daughters how to drive a standard shift. I got a little farther I think we made it around the block.

I had a similar thing happen when I first started playing guitar. My ex girlfriend tried teaching me and it didn't work out all that well. Very similar to the car fiasco.

Total 13 - good luck with teaching her I hope you're a very patient person.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

haha dont you worry, i'm a patient person by nature!

thanks for the advice people

oh and yeah the only nce looking daisy rocks are the retro h ones.

digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

come on guys!!!! This is a website dedicated to teaching guitar to the masses, and you're saying that he should give up before she even picks up anything?

Total 13; go into your gc with you gf, pick at least 5 guitars you personaly think are good for your price range. Strum out a G chord on each one of them, whichever one she likes the most, put on the top shelf. Now, pick a G chord on each of em, if its the same guitar for both, you're already set. If she picks two different guitars, then get her to hold on to each of em and decide on whichever feels more natural to her!

It doesn't really matter which guitar she likes the most, as long as she is picking one up and getting to know it. I don't like the feel of my aria 12 string, but there's no way I was gonna have that and not learn how to play it.

If she really wants to learn, she can learn on a 20 year old half-busted nylon, so that when she gets the basics on that she can truly understand how to pick a guitar she likes.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

First off, this guy is not so good a seller, check out http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10896 for a better deal on that guitar, not a huge saving but a saving none the less.

You might also wanna look at http://www.musicgearreview.com/review-display/11015.html and
http://www.musicgearreview.com/review-display/11570.html for reviews of it.

It seems a pretty good guitar to me, but the real problem is the feel. You can have what looks like the perfect guitar, but if it doesn't feel right, then it's gonna affect you. So if you can get her to a shop to have a play; just 'cos she isn't a proficient guitarist yet doesn't mean she can't look and try out some of the guitars on offer, just sit with it and strum open if needs be.

It'd make a nice suprise I'm sure, but an even better gift would be to help her find a guitar that she'll treasure :)

Petedo they take american money cuz thats all i got? but they have some nice prices. any way for a guitar for your GF get her one of those Jr. gibsons. they're beautiful and only cost 80 euro. thats pretty good.GIT SNAKE BIT!!!

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote