Clear all

Test to see if i have fat fingers

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi can you do this and is it easy for you to do ?

Play a C chord take your 2nd finger off the D string 2nd fret and hammer it back on after strumming once does the D String ring clear for you i just cant seem to get it, the D string keeps hitting my ring finger HOW do i do it if i move my finger up i mute the E string ?
im trying to learn this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXk846br27s which i think has acool tune

rip
(@rip)
Eminent Member

My initial reaction is to keep practicing it. I am able to do what you described. Many people think that their fingers are too fat for the fretboard, and yet there are MANY professional players with oversized hands and fingers. If you need/want some inspiration watch any video of Johnny Hiland ( http://www.johnnyhiland.com/ ) playing. Not only are his fingers fat, but he is blind to boot!

Practice!

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I have to wonder how you are hitting the strings with your fingers. Are you using the tip of the finger just below the fingernail? Or, do you slightly flatten your finger and use more of the fleshy part of the fingertip?

For example, if you were to stand your fingertip on a flat surface just as you would on a guitar, would that finger be straight up and down or would it have a slight curve at the first joint?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi can you do this and is it easy for you to do ?

Play a C chord take your 2nd finger off the D string 2nd fret and hammer it back on after strumming once does the D String ring clear for you i just cant seem to get it, the D string keeps hitting my ring finger HOW do i do it if i move my finger up i mute the E string ?

Hi Frank,

I don't have any trouble but my ring finger is probably at a better angle than yours, by the sound of it.

But if you do need to push it across and it mutes the E string then that shouldn't be a problem, as you don't usually need the low E anyway. It's very common to play C as x32010 with only the 5 higher strings strummed. That way the chord starts with a C on the 5th string, which is good. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the replys
i have tried everything i could think of to get my finger away so that the D string will ring clear my fingers
even using the tip of the finger just below the fingernail still no go even tried standing on my head at this stage what does strick me though is that the action may be to high but i just got that done by a pro so it could be the guitar because it could never be me could it or should i practice again?

just tried my electric same bloody thing pulling hair out now!

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Well, putting aside the chord for a minute - can you fret any note on the A string with your ring finger and still get an ok sound from E or D strings? What about with middle finger (which I'd guess is bigger than ring)? How about if you put the guitar on your lap and do it from above? If you can, I'd say it's clearly just a matter of practice to get the right position while playing. Be patient =) Hand strength, flexibility, and dexterity are things that can only be built up so fast.

I remember Chris C saying that he started learning on a classical guitar because he found the wider neck easier to learn on. (Right?) Is that an option for you?

Edit: Sorry, I see from your reg date you've probably been playing for a while already. *Goes off to get eyes checked...*

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No, it's not the action, fat fingers, the weather or any such thing. Take it slow and practice. Don't play a hammer but do it in slo-mo and make sure every movement is the right one. Btw, interpunction is your friend. ;)

ReplyQuote