Clear all

Thank you David...

16 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

...for reintroducing me to my acoustic. It hasn't gotten much playing time since I purchased an electric a few months back but I took it out yesterday again and found the "Wish You Were Here" lessons on this site and haven't been able to put it down since. I had forgotten how much I liked it (the song and the acoustic). Also, it's a great tune to learn to sing along to.

(@rahul)
Famed Member

I learned the intro from David's Lesson. My thanks too.

Keep em' comin' !

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Well, when playing live at the "Grey Fox" Charlie gave me a rythym pattern to "For What's it worth" and told me I did a really good job on it (thinking it was the first time I played it).

It was the first David Hodge lesson I did so, the pattern was slightly different but I knew the song so well.

I got the chorus part (E, D, A and C - in our case a G) from the Easy song database.

He played the Harmonics...

Boib Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

For too many things for me to mention....Thank you David. All of your work is greatly appreciated. I've learned so much from you it would be difficult for me to list everything.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Every once in a while there comes a man,
That is gentle in nature, mighty by hand.
There is no question, we all would agree,
David Hodge is one such as he.

Salud!

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

eloquent as always, your words are music to the..er.. eyes, kenrogers! :lol:

Many many thanks David, without your inspiring lessons I would not still be (attempting) playing guitar. Without meaning to sound mushy, your work is just one of the highlights of life, one of the happy and engaging things I look forward to in the day, something that brings pleasure. I am sure I speak for so many when I say that.

ReplyQuote
(@christopherius)
Trusted Member

Yes if it wasn't for David and this wonderful site I think I would have lost interest in my guitar playing. I have learned so much and continue to learn each day. Keep up the great work David!

Chris
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo356/christopherius/th_FenderSig.jpg

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

My thanks to all of you for your kind words (and verse! :wink: ). I tend to get a little sentimental myself at times (big understatement - just ask Nick), but I do believe that it's the community here at Guitar Noise that makes it the great place that it is. I am very lucky and fortunate to be a part of it and all of you have my thanks for making it so.

The reality is that it's one thing to write lessons. It's totally another to have people that actually read them and delve into the content and not just look at the tablature. All of you inspire me to be better and that's about as good as it gets.

Still, the biggest tip of the hat, as always, has to go to Paul Hackett who started all this (over twelve years ago now?) and still manages to keep the place running more than reasonably smoothly. Not to mention who graciously puts up with my inability to maintain a regular schedule.

I'll probably say this a million times in the next two weeks, but I wish all of you, your family and friends, the best of the holiday season and hope that everyone has a terrific upcoming New Year.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@raistx)
Trusted Member

It's totally another to have people that actually read them and delve into the content and not just look at the tablature. All of you inspire me to be better and that's about as good as it gets.

I think that has to do with the WAY you write. Your articles are not only informative but actually fun to read. If highschool text books were written the way you write, I would have passed!!!

Keep up the good work.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sorry, I missed this thread...

Many thanks for your online articles and lessons and also many thanks for your book on bass. I read it every day. I already read it twice and practice almost all the exercises but when I read it again I always find a new issue or good advice on it.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that if I hadn't fallen in with this group, after I quit my lessons, the guitars would be in their cases. I think if guitar teachers used the approach of David's lessons, or used them verbatim, learning guitar would be a lot easier and quicker. A big shout out and thanks to David and everyone else who contributes. :note2:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

All right, you all want to do something that will make David really happy? You want to know what to give him for Christmas?

I haven't know him as long as some, it just seems that way, (judging by the age of the SSG it must be seven years now). I do know the man well enough that I can help you with a Christmas gift for him. David is a genuine nice guy. He's an anomaly in the me first world, giving his time and knowledge for free and expecting nothing in return.

So here is what you can give him:

Pay it forward.

Go do something unexpected, something nice, give your time, go to a foodbank, teach a newbie a lesson, help someone who looks lost buying a guitar for their kid and then to top it off volunteer to give their kid a free lesson. Go sing and play at an old folks home. Do whatever you want, just share something you have expecting nothing in return.

If you feel comfortable sharing whatever it is you did with us all, I for one would love to hear about it.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 You nailed it, Nick.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

All right, you all want to do something that will make David really happy? You want to know what to give him for Christmas?

I haven't know him as long as some, it just seems that way, (judging by the age of the SSG it must be seven years now). I do know the man well enough that I can help you with a Christmas gift for him. David is a genuine nice guy. He's an anomaly in the me first world, giving his time and knowledge for free and expecting nothing in return.

So here is what you can give him:

Pay it forward.

Go do something unexpected, something nice, give your time, go to a foodbank, teach a newbie a lesson, help someone who looks lost buying a guitar for their kid and then to top it off volunteer to give their kid a free lesson. Go sing and play at an old folks home. Do whatever you want, just share something you have expecting nothing in return.

If you feel comfortable sharing whatever it is you did with us all, I for one would love to hear about it.

So do we start the "What I Did to Pay it Forward" thread?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So do we start the "What I Did to Pay it Forward" thread?

It's already on-going - every time you answer a post on these forums, every time you pass something on you've learned from GN, every time you give something back you've taken from GN....that's the way GN works, and every time you help someone else to understand something, you're paying it forward.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2