Clear all

Thanks!

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just wanted to show my appreciation for all the info I've gathered from this board. I've been self teaching for about 7 months, and just when I think I'm not going anywhere, I pull up a tab that I couldn't play, and somehow, it flows. It's really been amazing, but for all the other beginners out there, when you think that you are not making any progress try something new! You'll impress yourself & friends. My wife told me the other day that I should play "Good Riddance", I told her I played it for her a month or so ago, and she couldn't figure out what I was playing. So I pulled up the tab, got comfortable with the chords and knocked it out. Then I started leafing through my tabs, and playing a bunch of songs that I couldn't previously. I have a long way to go, but I've been pretty focused on just learning songs for my enjoyment.

My current song list:
Heart of Gold
Wish You Were Here
American Pie
After the Gold Rush
Good Riddance
Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Uncle John's Band

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

That is some song list!!!!!!

Alright! 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Just wanted to show my appreciation for all the info I've gathered from this board. I've been self teaching for about 7 months, and just when I think I'm not going anywhere, I pull up a tab that I couldn't play, and somehow, it flows. It's really been amazing, but for all the other beginners out there, when you think that you are not making any progress try something new!

Gotcha! I could play "For What's it's Worth" but I couldn't match it with the lryics. After a month, I went back and BOOM!
Got it - just like that!

I do this all the time, if I find something too hard, I'll move on and come back to it later.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

If you can fingerpick the Good Riddance part , i may say that you have made substantial progress.

Keep it up !

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Man that's a good feeling! Congrats. After reading your post even I feel happy today. :-)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Rahul - no just the chord progressions. I started fumbling around with fingerpicking, and have put it on the back burner for now. I will definitely get into that, especially to play Needle and the Damage Done, but I am trying to learn some songs I enjoy, and continually play them better. Oh, and I don't want to give the wrong impression, it may sound just like the album, er I mean disk, in my head, but be assured they all still need work. :oops:

Another funny thing, shortly after I bought my Yamaha Gigmaker package, I purchased a Seagull S6+ GT. I played them both for a while, and really only noticed a few differences between the two, soundwise. I have since had them both set up and it has made a night & day difference on fretting chords/playability. I love the extra room I have on the Seagull fretboard, as I have "thick" fingers, and have been playing it pretty exclusively for the last 3 months. I decided early that the Yamaha would be a great beater guitar to take to the beach, etc. I picked up the Yamaha, since I am getting ready to leave for the beach, the Yamaha sounds terrible, and doesn't play nearly as easy. I guess I'm getting my ear! I've already started to lay the groundwork with my wife to downgrade the Seagull to my "beater" and get something better. Next guitar will be solid, top, back & sides. Thinking of Martin D-15 - seems like a great deal, but I haven't played one yet and don't know how different the fit will be.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

My current song list:
Heart of Gold
Wish You Were Here
American Pie
After the Gold Rush
Good Riddance
Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Uncle John's Band
Hi mate my compliments if you can play Heart of gold and wish you were here after only seven months you're on a good way to become a good guitarist. Also "American pie" is quite difficult for an almost beginner since it has a lot of chord changes

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote