The F word ok chord

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi good people

Question : Can Fmaj7 be subsituted for F the barre chord ?

I can easy finger one but still am finding changeing from open chords to barre chords a challenge ..So until I get that part of my playing down pat { meaning alot faster and better } ..Can I jus subsitute one for the other

Cheers

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Dont know why you couldn't sub the F chord...if it sounds good to your ear, I say do it.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Hi good people

Question : Can Fmaj7 be subsituted for F the barre chord ?

I can easy finger one but still am finding changeing from open chords to barre chords a challenge ..So until I get that part of my playing down pat { meaning alot faster and better } ..Can I jus subsitute one for the other

Cheers

Trevor

I'd say go for it, I think in most instances it'll work. How about using the four string F chord, until you master the barre chord? Keep workingon it and it will come.

Eric

ReplyQuote
 Jay1
(@jay1)
Trusted Member

Keep working on the F. I thought i'd never be able to play it let alone change to it. Now in the last couple of weeks it's just come. I can get it to ring cleanly and even change to it, although my speed still needs work. It's strange how things that seem utterly hopeless all of a sudden one day just work.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Sometimes.

If the song is in the key of F (one flat in the key signature) then sub'ing FMaj7 is usually perfectly ok.

But if it's in another key, it doens't work as well.

D minor is a good substitution for an F chord just about anytime. (Relative minor chords can almost always be substituted for thier relative major and vice-versa).

However, the best thing is to learn to hit that F chord!

Start with being able to finger one of easier the triads:

E - x
A - x
D - 3
G - 2
B - 1
E - x

Once you can hit that, start using the other one:

E - x
A - 3
D - 3
G - 2
B - x
E - x

Then combine them:

E - x
A - 3
D - 3
G - 2
B - 1
E - x

Now, add the barre for the high F note:

E - x
A - 3
D - 3
G - 2
B - 1
E - 1

Now, to work up to the full barre, don't worry about chords, just start trying to barre 3 strings, 4 strings, etc. until you can barre 6 strings with your first finger and play each note cleanly.

Now you can add the low F note to your F chord.

If you practice this every day, changing into the chord from a variety of other chords over and over again, and focus on one step at a time until it's mastered, it won't take more than a few weeks to really get to the point where you can play this chord cleanly.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i usually play f's as x33211 or xx3211. i only play the bass f if it's necessary. if you're going to play a partial chord then just play the notes you finger, such as xx321x

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feed back guys

Cheers

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

I thought this was about a chord that it was ok to say the F word while playing it :P

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the feed back guys
Cheers
Trevor

Then you'll get to the B and Bb chords. I keep trying to substitute the B with B7 but it doesn't always work!

BJ

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Then you'll get to the B and Bb chords. I keep trying to substitute the B with B7 but it doesn't always work!

And just WAIT until you try to make barre chords using other open chord shapes (C for example).

BUNDLES of fun to be had there, I tell you! :lol:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote