Clear all

The five root shapes

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 JOS
(@jos)
Topic starter  

After playing for about a year or so, i decided to get serious and learn (really learn) the fretboard. I picked up a copy of Fretboard Workbook by Hal Leonard in a local GC. I'm really having trouble digesting "The Five Root Shapes" (chapter 2, for cryin' out loud, LOL). This is obviously very important, as the author strongly suggests in the chapter objectives, but I'm just not getting it. I completed the chapter and the exercises, but am kinda wondering, "What did I just learn?" and "Where does this all fit in the puzzle?" and "How do I use this?".

Any enlightment would be greatly appreciated...

(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

After playing for about a year or so, i decided to get serious and learn (really learn) the fretboard. I picked up a copy of Fretboard Workbook by Hal Leonard in a local GC. I'm really having trouble digesting "The Five Root Shapes" (chapter 2, for cryin' out loud, LOL). This is obviously very important, as the author strongly suggests in the chapter objectives, but I'm just not getting it. I completed the chapter and the exercises, but am kinda wondering, "What did I just learn?" and "Where does this all fit in the puzzle?" and "How do I use this?".

Any enlightment would be greatly appreciated...

I have worked with the book, it's a great way to understand the fretboard. The "root shapes" are refering to the patterns of the same notes up and down the fretboard...it will give you a understanding on how it's put together. Also, if you know these "shapes", you can pick any note on the guitar and know how to create major/minor/mode scales off the bat, and also be able to build triad shapes (chords) on the fly. The five root shapes relate to the five patterns of a major scale (starting at the nut and going on past the 12 fret), and can be related to the "CAGED" patterns as well. It seems complicated at first, but it's really not all that bad once you get into it.

Take your time, go through the chapter again. Repetition and patience are the key.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

AS the prior post mentioned the shapes are also referred to CAGED which is the chords C, A, G, E, D in the open position. These shapes can be moved up and down the fretboard to make differant chords (barre chords). Also by filling in the blanks you can see their relation to the scale of the same name.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

as an example. with the open C7 position starting down at the nut.
move up two frets you have D7
move up another two frets and you have E7 (fifth fret)
play with that shape and you will hear 'Down on the Bayou".
how cool is that?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Here is Understanding the CAGED system, printer friendly version!

And, this is another, more in-depth article about CAGED.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 JOS
(@jos)
Topic starter  

(*light goes on over my head*) Now, I think I understand. The ref and links to the CAGED system helped a great deal!! Thank you.

dogbite...thanks for the "Down On The Bayou" tidbit. Now I can add that song to my vast (okay, limited) collection of songs I can play!!

ReplyQuote