Notifications
Clear all

The guitar player strikes again...

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@masshysteria)
Topic starter  

Hey! Remember me? Musically inclined noob? Yeah. I've come to bother and pester you with questions that you've probably answered in the past. :wink:

1. In my last post ( http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=11284 ) I asked about a buzzing sound.... and people said to place my fingers near the fret. WHAT?! I thought you were supposed to put your fingers in the CENTER of the fret? I moved my finger around the space between frets.. and found that it doesn't make a difference in the sound. But is there some technical place where my finger is supposed to go?

2. I'm a frog. As in: I have really sticky pads on the tips of my fingers. I guess it's because i'm a new player and I don't have any callouses... but when I lift my fingers off of the strings, it rings... :( Not a pretty sound...

3. My guitar is fairly new.... As in: I got it last month. I stopped playing for a week because..... I don't really know why, but I did. When I picked it up again today, it was WAY out of tune! I mean... I didn't bang it around (in fact I didn't move it at all.. :oops: ) or anything. Could it be the new strings? Because thats the case in violin... Is this just a whole "new" thing that will pass or should I keep a better eye on my brother, then install an electric fence around my guitar?

4. When I play tab, I have this thing where I want to put down ALL of my fingers for one whole measure at once. NOT GOOD! Is this just some kind of mental problem that I have?!

5. I have this one song I really like and i'm playing.. and I only know the first few lines. The thing is, I notice that I pick up the speed when I play those few lines, even when I can only play 3. :roll: What can I do?

Man. This whole guitar thing is much harder than I suspected... If you have any suggestions... I owe you a steak.

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

1. They go right by the frets. While you can often get a note fretted when you're far from the fret, it takes less effort to make it sound clean when you're right by it.

2, Well, it ain't easy being green. You're right about the calluses. A bit of it may be technique, but it will come on its own.

3. Yes, new strings take a while to settle in. You should watch your brother anyway; you never know what he could be up to.,

4. Sounds like a mental problem to me. Coordination will come along. Sometimes that's handy, if all the notes are in one chord, but at other times it's not.

5. Practice with a metronome will help you get the feel of playing at a constant speed. Switch between playing with and without it to internalize the tempo.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Switch between playing with and without it to internalize the tempo.
Tapping your foot in tempo while playing will help internalize it.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@alasken)
Eminent Member

When I first started playing I was using my mom's old acoustic from the 70s, and I was complaining to my brother that it was a shitty guitar, as it didn't sound good whatever I did......then one of my guitar-playing friends came over, and it sounded nice when he played on it.......it just takes a while to find the right amount of pressure to apply, where to place your fingers and to get callouses, which actually help a lot...keep at it, learning to play guitar isn't hard, it just takes patience :) (I've only played for 6 months, and I manage quite a few things already...)

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

yep, fingers go right next to the fret, your notes will sound better and your fingers wont tire as quicker. Use a metronome and allow yourself some time to get comfortable with the instrument.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote