Trusted Member
Topic starter  

E
B
G
D-4-4-6-7-|-2-2-4-5-|-4-4-6-7-|
A-2-2-2-2-|-0-0-0-0-|-2-2-2-2-|
E

How on earth can i keep my finger on the 2nd fret of A and also play the 7th fret of D??

any help would be great.

Cheers

PS; the song is ac/dc the Jack.

i want to learn

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's a stretch, sure, but it happens in lots of tunes. Turn your wrist a bit more to get a little extra extension with the pinkie, and don't try to barre the 2nd fret - you only need to hold the one note.

It can help to play this pattern at a higher fret, like the 9th or so, and when that's comfortable, move down to the 8th fret, and so on, until you reach the 2nd.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Make sure that you have your thumb at about the same level as the 5th/6th fret, that way you'll get more reach, even though it will be harder to keep the 2nd fret clean.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nedder)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

the furthest i can get my pinkie is hal way onto the 6th fret with my index finger on the 2nd... :cry:

i want to learn

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I've also found as a rule of thumb (pun intended) that whenever I find a stretch to be challenging it helps to have my thumb positioned in the middle of the back of the neck.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nedder)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all your help !! but my hands just wont spread that far..

ill put this one to bed now !! :cry:

i want to learn

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I can get down to the 6th from the 2nd. That's a crazy stretch.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@markminni)
Eminent Member

Play it like this, it's less of a stretch:

E
B
G
D
A-9-9-11-12-|-7-7-9-10-|
E-7-7--7---7-|-5-5-5--5-|

ReplyQuote
(@jim_v)

The seventh fret of the A string is the same note as the second fret of the D string (E in the same octave). When you get to the part you can't reach, fret the second frets of the low E and D string while muting the A string and strum all three strings. It should sound acceptable. It may be harder to get there fast, but at least you should be able to do it. Good luck.

Taylor 420R Ltd
Guild D50CE
Martin OM-1
Fender Stratocaster Plus
Gibson Les Paul Studio

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

id do what noteboat said... this way, you actually end up stretching your fingers, instead of just cheating it.

So start higher up onthe neck, where its easier, and move lower as it gets more comfortable.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You should really practice it the way it is written. You will get it after awhile.

Here is a "cheater" way to play it. It will sound almost the same. You are simply inverting the power chord. This is used on some songs. John Lennon used this form in the song Revolution.

Instead of

e--------------------------------------
b--------------------------------------
g--------------------------------------
d--4-4-6-7----2-2-4-5----4-4-6-7-------
a--2-2-2-2----0-0-0-0----2-2-2-2-------

Try this

b--------------------------------------
g—4-4-4-4---------------4-4-4-4--------
d-4-4-6-7----2-2-4-5----4-4-6-7--------
a------------0-0-0-0-------------------

With this, hold a little mini barre at the 4th fret with your index finger, play the other notes with your ring and pinky fingers.

This works well when the bass player is playing the root note.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@nedder)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

cheers man !! i will try that tonight !!

but when people are saying keep trying you will get it. i wont, it is impossible for me to strech that far, i mus have small hands as from my index to my pinkie i can only strech 3 frets..

cheers for everyones help..

i want to learn

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

Try playing the note on the A string (2) with your first finger and the note on the D string (4) with your second finger. That should help you make the stretch with your pinkie.

ReplyQuote
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member

I hope I dont sound too snob but if it was tabbed out by someone then it can be played.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

but when people are saying keep trying you will get it. i wont, it is impossible for me to strech that far, i mus have small hands as from my index to my pinkie i can only strech 3 frets..

Don't cheat yourself. Two months ago I thought I would never be able to play a barrechord, then I thought I'd never be able to switch between them easily, now it's no problem. It may seem like an impossiblity, but if you practice it soon becomes reality.

Think about it. A piano plyaer can stretch farther on a piano than someone who has never played piano. It's not becuase he was bobrn with it, it was becuase he practiced, and hte more he played, the longer his reach got.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote