Clear all

The jump from Rhythm to Solo O.o

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

When I mean rhythm up there, I mean such as in metal bands... just so you know...

So I read tabs for things such as... ACDC, Black Sabbath, *insert power metal band here*, and many more right?
I can play pretty much all the rhythm part and everything, but I find the jump from that to solos are too vast :(

What is a good way to start practicing solos? :shock: I need help please

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

by playing them....
put the ACDC cd in a player and play along as best you can.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Start with Shook me all Night long it's probably the easiest AC/DC solo, even I can play that one.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

Take the solo in chunks. Don't attempt it all at once. For example find the tab and take it a bar at a time. Start slow with it. Don't try and play it at its origional speed. Work each bar gradually up to the correct speed then move on to the next. Once you have learnt each bar of the solo separately and have them to the correct speed, then you can practice them as a whole. Its a slow process but once you are finished you will have a great sounding solo.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Take the solo in chunks. Don't attempt it all at once. For example find the tab and take it a bar at a time. Start slow with it. Don't try and play it at its origional speed. Work each bar gradually up to the correct speed then move on to the next. Once you have learnt each bar of the solo separately and have them to the correct speed, then you can practice them as a whole. Its a slow process but once you are finished you will have a great sounding solo.

That's great advice, unfortunately it takes ALOT of patience, which is something I don't have alot of. But I can say that I at least can play the solo to "You shook me all night long", which I will also recommend, along with cnev, as a good first solo to learn (so long as you've been playing for at least a year or so), but it's not easy to sound anywhere as good as the original.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

I may start to sound like a fortune cookie, but patience is a virtue nothing good comes quick. I had an instructor tell me this approach a year ago and it has really helped. Give it a shot on a small solo and see what you think. I think you will be pleased with the results. If not all we have is time :)

ReplyQuote
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well... I thought slow - then fast was a given for any guitar player, but thanks anyway :P

Aside from You Shook me All Night Long, what else are good solos to start on? (I don't mind which song as long as it sounds good 8) )

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

The solos below are not all that difficult.

Hey Joe (Hendrix)
Purple Haze (Hendrix)
Sunshine Of You Love (Cream/Clapton)

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

Yes slow then fast does seem to be the recipe for success.

ReplyQuote