The neck..

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@shinnoki)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, my neck is already bent... wohoo :roll:
Anyways, now my strings are buzzing at around 2nd - 3rd fret, that's where my strings are relativelly closer to fretboard than anywhere else on the guitar. So now what are my options.
Buy a new neck?
Take the guitar back (still in warranty)
Take it to repair shop?
Do something myself?
What else is there.

(I think it bent cuz whenever I wasn't playing it, I put it next to wall with top of the neck touching the wall)

(@jminor)
Estimable Member

If it's still under warranty you should take it back...

And I don't think just leaning it up against a wall would bend the neck in the first place..

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

Is it visibly bent? Is this something you can't adjust the truss rod for?

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

Try taking it back to the store where you got it and ask them if they will set it up properly for you. In my experience most places will do this although some may charge you.

also as Jmin said just setting the guitar against the wall is unlikely to have been the cause of your apparent neck bend. The force exerted by the strings on the neck for avarege light strings is around 117 pounds, so thestrings are doing that on one side and the truss rod is countering that with a roughly equal force, so the extra force of leaning it against the wall really just doseon't matter in the overall sceme of things. However If you've recently changed from high guage to low guage strings that could cause your neck to warp.

:D

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@shinnoki)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Try taking it back to the store where you got it and ask them if they will set it up properly for you. In my experience most places will do this although some may charge you.

also as Jmin said just setting the guitar against the wall is unlikely to have been the cause of your apparent neck bend. The force exerted by the strings on the neck for avarege light strings is around 117 pounds, so thestrings are doing that on one side and the truss rod is countering that with a roughly equal force, so the extra force of leaning it against the wall really just doseon't matter in the overall sceme of things. However If you've recently changed from high guage to low guage strings that could cause your neck to warp.

:D

Hm, you might be right, i did replace all 6 strings just a few days ago.
But what are you implying by "setting it up properly". What kind of setting up does it require?

ReplyQuote
(@davidp)

Guitar "setup" refers to adjusting various components of the guitar which affect the way it sounds and plays. Sometimes all that's needed is to change the neck relief but more can be done. Nils' setup page should give you an idea of what can be involved in setting up a guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@xposed)
Estimable Member

How did you bend the neck?

ReplyQuote
(@shinnoki)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I didn't, the only somewhat-possible reason is that it was laying next to wall. Cuz I didn't drop it / bash it or anything, just yesterday I realized that the 3rd fret strings are buzzing like nuts and when I looked at the guitar from side I noticed that strings don't align properly.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

You have most likely used a different (thinner) gague of strings which is pulling the neck out of shape

ReplyQuote
(@shinnoki)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Guage doesn't seem to be the problem, I detached a few strings, and only kept one loose string to see how much difference is between the fretboard and the string. The same as before. So I think the neck is bent by itself now, not becuz gauge is holding it that way.
If I return it to the store, it'll be the 2nd time...
If I could fix it myself, I would do it, even if it risks warranty

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Guage doesn't seem to be the problem, I detached a few strings, and only kept one loose string to see how much difference is between the fretboard and the string. The same as before. So I think the neck is bent by itself now, not becuz gauge is holding it that way.
If I return it to the store, it'll be the 2nd time...
If I could fix it myself, I would do it, even if it risks warranty
No, I think the gauge is thinner so the truss road is pulling and not getting enough force back from the strings, so removing strings wouldn't help, try adjusting the rod a quarter turn at a time and see if it helps

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure which way the neck is bent, so I'll try and cover both eventualities.
If the neck is bent, so that the headstock is raised, in relation to the body, the reason could well be that you have mounted a heavier gauge of string than was previously on the guitar. This has raised the tension, on the neck. and bent it forwards. The remedy is to adjust the truss rod, so that the neck is near straight (there must be a small amount of relief, i.e. bend, but only very little). Tightening the truss rod will add pressure to the neck and cause it to bend backwards - this should always be done with slackened strings and with a certain amount of care.
If the neck is bent so that the headstock is bending otwards the back of the guitar, the chances are that you have mounted a lighter gauge string and the truss rod is set to counteract more tension than your new strings are exerting. The remedy is to slacken the truss rod, until the required relief has been achieved, with the new set of strings.

There's some more info here.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Shinnoki:

Please read the following link about guitar set ups. Not that you have to do the work yourself, but so you understand what everyone here is trying to explain. Once you understand exactly what a set up is and what it fixes, you will understand everyone's post.

http://users.powernet.co.uk/guitars/setuptut.htm

Then, take your guitar to a guitar tech and have a set up done. My guess is that there is nothing wrong with your guitar, that a good set up can't correct!

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@shinnoki)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well I think I understand now what u all mean.
I have this little thing that I can stick to the place where I assume rod is adjusted.

Can I adjust the rod with that?

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

That is a truss rod adjustment you are talking about. Be VERY careful if you attempt to adjust it - only go a 1/4 turn (at most) at a time. You can cause MAJOR neck damage. I would bring it to a tech and watch him adjust it, so you will know how to do it in the future.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2